Looking for a CD / SACD player. Also, tell me about Esoteric

Budget is $10k.

I want something that plays SACDs as well as redbook.

Must have US service available.

I mention Esoteric as they appear to be one of the few still pushing the envelope as well as supporting SACD in this price range.

gthirteen

K01x owner here. Sounds great, happy. No desire to change it.

Disadvantage of Esoteric.

1) Constant planned obsolescence, every 2 years a new model which devalues the “older” players

2) only 1 service center in US (Los Angeles)

3) Repairs are expensive. My player did not read discs right outside warranty = new transport and $3.5k in repairs. 

@bwguy

I did not get a chance to an A/B test of the XD vrs XDSE but the Esoteric discreet DAC was definitely one of my better purchases! Roon is also new to me and I’m loving it as well. 

I have the Esoteric K-01X.  I directly compared it to the top of the line Marantz, and the dCS SACD player, which I think was the Puccini, or Rossini.  The Marantz and the dCS were awful by comparison, although I don’t remember exactly in which ways.  I really enjoyed the sound quality from the Esoteric….until I upgraded my vinyl.  Now the Esoteric sounds awful by comparison to my vinyl set up.  I haven’t even listened to CD/SACD in a couple of years in my home system.

I have personally owned the Totaldac Triunity Dac and Metronome Calypso Reference Transport combo prior to downsize to the Esoteric K-01XD and extremely happy with the musical performance of the unit.  The new redesign transport and dac in the Esoteric XD are absolutely amazing with warmth and precise that any previous generation including the Grandioso K1 can’t even compete.  IMHO purchase the K-01XD and happy for life!