Looking for a CD / SACD player. Also, tell me about Esoteric

Budget is $10k.

I want something that plays SACDs as well as redbook.

Must have US service available.

I mention Esoteric as they appear to be one of the few still pushing the envelope as well as supporting SACD in this price range.

gthirteen

Please correct me if I’m wrong- no more Oppo, no more Sony, etc as to getting a more or less cheap transport and using a nice D/A converter?

That is what I do. I get DSD and PCM out of my Oppo ($200) and into my DACs. I have tested with Benchmark DAC3B and the Schitt Yggi+ OG and LIM.

Amazon.com: GeerFab Audio - D.BOB Digital Breakout Box : Electronics

They sell this unit at very high-end audio shops like Upscale Audio.in LA.

I wrote about this in other threads.

Regarding Esoteric's packaging, current models are shipped double boxed in extremely strong cardboard boxes. However, they are heavy machines and ultimately, if shippers want to destroy something, they will.

Luxman makes outstanding SACD players such as the D-10x and D-07x.

What about Accuphase - they make several models that are comparable to Luxman's offerings.  Though Luxman and Accuphase compete at similar price points in the Japanese market, sadly Accuphase is overpriced in the US market compared to Luxman.

That said, how do Accuphase SACD players compare to Luxman?

Regarding Esoteric's packaging, current models are shipped double boxed in extremely strong cardboard boxes. However, they are heavy machines and ultimately, if shippers want to destroy something, they will.

Yes, my K-05XD arrived on a pallet in a triple wall cardboard box.

personally, i'd get a separate transport + dac (which will be upgradeable) before dropping $10k on a cdp, but it's your dough. if you do want a single box, the denon dcd a110 is a helluva good sounding piece. i also saw the yamaha s3000 for less than half price at accessories4less, but i haven't heard it.