Listening Room

Hello to all,

I think this is a situation many audiophiles find themselves in: That being your listening room is NOT a dedicated room that your expensive audio system resides in. You do NOT have a chair that is perfectly positioned in between speakers to optimize your listening enjoyment. Why? The room simply cannot accommodate a chair in the center or, most likely, your wife and/or significant other will not allow you to place a chair where it's supposed to be when listening.

Having said that, you listen to music from everywhere in the room. How does one go about speaker placement? How do you increase the sound stage? Are some speaker brands better than others when you do not have a dedicated listening room? Thanks for your input.

lovehifi22

Many thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions. Unfortunately, some members posting on this site have alternative agendas and must have way too much time on their hands. I tried to avoid them by simply changing a username, but I was not smart enough to realize that did not work. I'm new to this site and just trying to learn and get good advice. Nothing more, nothing less. 

To the OP…I would seriously check out KEF towers with UniQ driver.  The dispersion is excellent and you have a wide sweet spot that sounds great across the room.  The R-Series are very nice, but the Reference Series are incredible if you can afford them.  

@immatthewj 8% is not a great rate, and no you did not do good, unless that was in the low range of rates available at the time. ( but hey, at least you bought a house). I was busy having fun As a younger man during that time, so what do I know. I certainly hope you refinanced, as rates plummeted to 2.3 and 2.5% at one point. Unless of course you paid it off. As far as not living in same world, I’ve sold on ebay for well over 20 years, and have never seen it this bad. Crap load of watchers and interested buyers, but hardly any sales. Once in a Blue moon someone will buy. I have well over 2k 100% positive feedback and I’m selling some popular audio things at pretty well discounted prices, not crap. People just want your stuff for practically nothing nowadays. Even tried selling things here. Had luck selling here years ago. The economy sucks. Wish I was in your utopia.

After becoming empty nesters, I coverted a 20' x 30' space to a listening room. Built up rig and room for listening. Sound absorbtion, diffusers, lighting accents, big recliner stayed at apex of speaker triangle. Wife and I shared the listening sweet spot.

Last kid that left came back with hubby and 2 kids a year ago so bye bye listening room. 

All due respect, he served our country 4 years, but back to square one for them.

Wife did offer living room for rig, but its a big echoy room. Alot of challanges if I get the time. 

Headphones a no go for me. Wife and I share the music moment.