Listening Room

Hello to all,

I think this is a situation many audiophiles find themselves in: That being your listening room is NOT a dedicated room that your expensive audio system resides in. You do NOT have a chair that is perfectly positioned in between speakers to optimize your listening enjoyment. Why? The room simply cannot accommodate a chair in the center or, most likely, your wife and/or significant other will not allow you to place a chair where it's supposed to be when listening.

Having said that, you listen to music from everywhere in the room. How does one go about speaker placement? How do you increase the sound stage? Are some speaker brands better than others when you do not have a dedicated listening room? Thanks for your input.

lovehifi22

First, I am not trying to be combative (others others on this post already have that part covered).

I am just curious and confused how any room can't be configured in some way that it allows for a sweet spot of some sort. Either permanent or repositionable.

Surely there must be some sort of compromise to be worked out with whomever is pushing back on this.

That being said, I apologize if this is a sore spot and I am being jerkish.

I have my system set up in the front room of my house.  I have a loveseat with the right side in the sweet spot.  Behind me is the living room and dining room.  Off to the side is the staircase for upstairs.  This positioning fills my entire home with beautiful music.  I will often sit on my couch that faces the system and watch sports with music going loud if I am not interested in the commentators.  I think if you can figure out a way to incorporate the system into your daily activities like this you will get much more enjoyment.  I am sure there are sonic trade-offs compared to a dedicated and symmetrical space.  I have lived with this for 12 years and cannot imagine having my system tucked away somewhere in a room.

Many thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions. Unfortunately, some members posting on this site have alternative agendas and must have way too much time on their hands. I tried to avoid them by simply changing a username, but I was not smart enough to realize that did not work. I'm new to this site and just trying to learn and get good advice. Nothing more, nothing less. 

To the OP…I would seriously check out KEF towers with UniQ driver.  The dispersion is excellent and you have a wide sweet spot that sounds great across the room.  The R-Series are very nice, but the Reference Series are incredible if you can afford them.