Listening position/speaker position

I had a friend visit this weekend for some extended listening. I generally trust some of his suggestions, and his hearing may be better than mine, but I am 61 and don't have any hearing "issues." Also, in the interest of full disclosure, my friend and I are competitive with each other so there is always the possibility that he is busting on me.

I am very happy with my setup and my sound----the room is quiet, the system is quiet and I have low distortion, plenty of punch and volume, without sacrificing any detail. I have Revel 228be speakers, a McIntosh MC312 amp, C53 preamp, Pass XP-17 phono stage, Technics SL1200G TT run with an AT-art9xi MCC.

Anyway, my listening room is approximately 26' x 15' with less than 8-foot ceilings, plaster walls, wall to wall carpeting, lots of cushy furniture, and it's perfectly rectangular. I have my Revel 228's positioned on the narrow end of the room, a couple feet from the side wall and about 2-1/2 feet from the back wall. The listening position is about 10 feet from the speakers, or just shy of the midpoint of the room. My critical friend was suggesting that by having the speakers at one end of the room, I am asking them to "fill" a 26-foot room, despite the listening position being near midpoint depth. He suggested that I put the speakers in the middle of the room and move the listening position against the wall, so that the speakers are only tasked with filling half of the room. He also implied that I was under-powered with the MC312 which doesn't sound valid..

Obviously, the only way to know if I would get sound improvement would be to swap sides in the room, but his suggestion sounded so odd that I thought some of you with more experience might have an opinion.

willyht

@willyht 

With all due respect, your friend is an idiot, or at the very least knows nothing about room acoustics. You are doing it right, I would just move the speakers a little further from the front wall, like close to 5ft. As far as the listening position, the space between the tweeters should be a little more than 80% of the distance between them and you. It does sound like you need some diffusion with all the carpeting and cushy furniture you describe. Try it at first reflection points first. It will brighten up the sound considerably.

I also had a friend who is in the stereo retail business come by to listen to my system [Maggie 3.7's, Hegel int.]  After 10 minutes he said 'try this for a while'' and moved the speakers another 20 inches apart.  I left them there for a week and then moved them back.  Experimentation allows learning is what I found.

My room is nearly the same exact size as yours. I am limited regarding speaker and listening position but I’ve played around with these and my speakers are about 3’ from the wall, 7’ apart with the listening position about 7’ from the speakers (an equilateral triangle). I have room treatments that tamed bass. The sound it very good and still gives me goose bumps from time to time. 

Not to hijack Willht thread, but I need some advice as well. I see all of the recommendations, and they are for box speakers. My question is how do these change (if at all) for open baffle speakers? I am finishing a listening room that will be 20L x 15W x 8H, and will mostly be using Clayton Shaw Caladan speakers.....not too far off of the Cardas recommendations, but this is as close as I can get.

++ for recommendations of Jim Smith's book; "Get Better Sound"  even better yet call Jim!  For a modest amount he will spend 30min with you.  You send him dimensions, pictures and a list of your equipment and he'll offer up his expertise on optimization.

Straight talk with Jim