Linlai Elite vs Psvane Acme 845

Personal experience with the two tubes.  What is the difference between both tubes, which tube has better SQ and which tube do you recommend?  Thanks members!! 

128x128zipost

Showing 3 responses by sns

I'd also be interested in hearing from those who've tried either tube. Yes, I too have heard of Acme 845 tube failures, mostly with Line Magnetic amp, can't recall the forum, perhaps Whatsbestforum.

I don't know if this has any bearing on 845 tubes, but I have experience with Linlai Elite mesh and solid plate, Psvane WE101D in my Coincident Statement pre, and Psvane Acme 300B in my custom build 300B monoblock amps. Linlai solid plate best with Psvane a close second, Acme 300B wonderful tube, way superior to prior Shuguang Black Treasure.

Reportedly, there were problems with early Linlai Elite 101D tubes, since rectified, I did have failure of one mesh plate.

Based on above specs you mentioned, it would appear the Linlai 845 should be more rugged.

I don't think Grant stopped carrying Psvane because of excessive failures, this was far more about marketing conflicts of interest

Back to 845's. I've been running 845 amps for well over ten years now, experienced failures from TJ Fullmusic and KR, never any issues with either Shuguang or Psvane, the Psvane Black Bottle special editions purchased at Grant Fidelity I'm using at present are best 845 I've heard up to now.

I'd agree it was bit of both. But then the issue becomes Linlai principles came from Psvane, why should we trust Linlai durability anymore than Psvane. I'm not sure tubes are always to blame in tube failures, some of these amp manufacturers run these tubes hotter than 845 specs allow for.

@zipost My experience with power tubes is they need a minimum of 100 hours, you should hear a greater sense of openness, bloom starting around 80 hours, may take up to 150 or more hours for full bloom. I recently purchased Psvane Acme 300B tubes, followed this scenario exactly, Linlai Elite mesh and solid plate 101D's in my preamp, and various 845's in another amp same deal.