Lightning quick DYNAMIC amp in the under $1000 range

Hi guys, slowly upgrading my system on a bang for the buck budget. Anyone know of a musical, dynamic amp for under a grand? I would prefer new, but if anyone knows of a good deal on the used market, that could work, as well.
bstatmeister

Showing 5 responses by mesch

I own the Newforce STA 200 mentioned by smrex13. It provides 80wpc into 8ohms, however no more than that into 4 ohms. It is highly sensitive, reaching full power with 0.65V input and has 51Kohm input impedance, making it a good choice for use with a passive. Last I saw it was being offered at $449 by Audio Advisor. 

The Schiit Saga would make for a great match with the STA200, having a low gain in passive or tube buffered mode at 1V, 0db according to Schiit.  I am considering the purchase of one myself.

Your Vandy 2Cs do not represent a difficult load for an amplifier, having a relatively benign impedance and moderate sensitivity such that they could be driven by a single ST200 in stereo mode. However if your power needs are greater (do to room and loudness levels), the vertical biamp approach is within budget. 

I also like the Odyssey amplifier mentioned by tomic601. I almost purchased one sometime back. Would work with speakers presenting a more difficult load then the STA200.

Mrdecibel, I went back to check the NuForce specs on the STA200, and realized my mistake. Sensitivity is even lower than I reported. I stand corrected. One could drive many phonostages via a passive to this amp. Provided other electrical parameters are met. I may try that out one day.

Tisbury Audio in London makes a passive that has dip switches to invoke attenuation at 0, -10 and -20 dB. prior to volume control. Might be just the thing with this amp.
Mrdecibel, I bought the SYS a few years ago to have a passive to play with. Have looked into others including the Luminous Axiom. I also have seen the DouK passives and considered trying one as I only would need a single input. At the moment I am not sure what I will do regarding purchase of a different passive.

Bstatmeister, don't wish to hijack your thread any further. What are your latest thoughts on amplification? 
The STA200 is A/B. Two aspects to be aware of is that it is very sensitive to input voltage and doesn't provide amy more power into 4ohms than into 8ohms (80wpc). It is a very quiet and clean sounding amplifier well suited to a passive pre and best matched with 6-8ohm speakers. Currently being offered at $429 from Audio Advisor making it a great amp for a budget system when so paired. 

Within my closet of goodies, I can put together a system consisting of: Schiit DAC ($99), Schiit SYS ($50), STA200 ($429), Focal Chorus 706s (latest addition) ($549), Blue Jean LC-1 interconnects ($70), Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables (used $35), steel speaker stands (used $25).  System price $1250. Sometimes substitute B&W 685s (used $300) for the Focals.  

All that said, if I had ~$1000 to spend on an amplifier and the funds for remaining system to compliment, I would purchase the Odyssey knowing it would provide greater flexibility, and better serve if inclined toward an upgrade path.

Peter_s, I own a BEL 1001 MK5, produced in summer of 2007. Probably the single best piece of equipment I own. Great amplifier! It is the reason I don't own an Odyssey. Found it at a dealership in 2011 hidden in the corner.   
aberyclark, just to be clear, did you use the Prebox s2 directly into the STA200, without SYS? I am asking as I thought about purchasing the prebox to use directly  with my STA200. Thanks.