Leaving my amplifier on ok?

Would it be ok to leave my amplifier on all the time if I want to extend the reliability of the amp? Many amplifiers ar Class A, high current bias and tubes might be a problem if energy consumption is a factor. Not to mention Excessive heat from bias operation. Is it possible to extend the life of the amp with leaving it on all the time?

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

In the Link is the comments made on a Respected Amplifier Manufacturers Web Site.

https://support.hegel.com/product-articles/frequently-asked-questions#can-i-leave-my-hegel-amp-on-all-the-time

Off course in relation to this Brands advisory, such guidance can be overlooked by the owner of a product, and the guidance discovered within a forum can be the one chosen.  

@highend64, like most things in audio, it depends.

Obviously class A amps will run hot so best not to leave on but Class AB can and IMO should be left on all the time.

You'll probably remember the old incandescent light bulb that mostly failed on switch on because the filament is cold and at its lowest resistance and pulls most current = blown.  This is stressful for amps at switch on.

When a hot amp cools down there is condensation so the PCB is contracting in the presence of moisture providing the ingredients for failed solder joints and corrosion on anything with some ferrous content. Class AB in its quiescent state draws very little power and does not get hot so just leave it on.

Of course if it is to be out of use for a long period then best to turn off.

Valve amps can also be left on if HV to the power tubes is interrupted by relay and the heater voltage to driver is reduced to 2/3 of nominal. So 6.3V can be reduced to about 4.2V via a standby switch thereby avoiding cathode poisoning. Flipping from standby to on will very quickly bring the heaters up to nominal V while the HV is delayed for 20 to 30 seconds before connecting.

Some but not many commercial tube amps provide this feature. Easily done using an LM 317 adjustable voltage regulator for less than $2

REL recommended that I leave my subs on continuously. I have not reached out to McIntosh yet for their advise on SS gear.

Other than @cakyol, who else out there has an amp that dims the lights when you turn it on?

There is only one rule that apply universally and in all case:

Love God above all...

And the prime numbers distribution law after God ...

Amplifiers differ and human habit too , climate, house grid , etc then there is NO ONE RULE for all and every amplifier and for each one of us..

«Next subject if there is one»-- Groucho Marx 🤓