Krell KRS-200 Capacitors

Hi 
Could someone guide me as to what type of caps are installed in this amp and which ones to change. I have acquired a pair of these last year and as far as I know they have never been recapped. The amps were not in use for 10 years prior to my purchase. They sound fine but I am sure they need new caps being so old. 
Basically which type of caps and which ones to change that will have the most effect on sound. Wanted to see if I could find out this information among the knowledgeable members without having to open up the amp. 
Thanks
srafi
Hi Srafi,

The most important is to keep the amplifier from blowing up. :) Electrolytic caps have a lifespan of about 20-30 years, and when any of them goes it can take a lot more of the amp with it. If the transistors are no longer made this can effectively turn your amp into a brick.

I would leave this up to an experienced tech, but one recommendation may be to seek higher temperature caps than originally, within reason. The higher the cap temp, the longer the lifespan. I don't know what Krell used, they may have already used this trick. :) I think after 80 C is the 105C caps, usually. If that's already what is in that's probably good enough.

Otherwise, for sound quality, look for any AC coupling caps in the audio path, especially at the input. Those could probably be replaced. I like Cornell Dubelier for sound, inexpensive (RelativelY) and small size.