Krell anticipator circuits of the 1990s

"Krell FPB-600 Stereo Power Amplifier

This big power amp features the evolution of the plateau biasing circuit introduced in the KSA series of amps. This circuit anticipates the power demands of the output by monitoring the incoming signal as the demand for power increases, the more power the amplifier supplies. After a grace period of fifteen seconds and no additional high current signal demands, the Krell FPB-600 amplifier returns to its appropriate power setting. This feature allows for Class A bias output without all the wasted electricity and heat."

Do you believe the anticipator can up the bias quickly enough?  A guy hits a huge bass drum, the anticipator circuit senses this and ups the bias in time for the hit to be amplified in Class A?

We are talking a micro second.  Once he hit it the start of the moment was over.  This was a con.  Created by Krell because they were under pressure from the emerging green lobby to cut power consumption.  Qualified Krell service engineers have not been able to explain to me how it can work.

Me?  I still have my KRS200s.  Pure Class A.  So there's my answer.

128x128clearthinker

Showing 3 responses by jew16384

So the Bias slides up, big deal and down. Krell would have done time domain tests to determine if there spurs appear off the fundamental.  Something like this would not be done by a field but an engineer. We would do this in the digitally domain for the floating dynamic amps and  converters we built. It not simple but not rocket science either but timing has to perfect as did this to 60 channels in parallel. This was at Texas Instruments and several others. I doubt I changed any minds but keep an open mind that analog computing is fast.

I’m in on Pass Labs, Cherrs

It depends on multiple elements in the design.

The Bias point the amp runs at at idle. The speed of the output stage ( slew rate ) How long long do you hold the amp stage at a class A bias before returning to idle. There are multiple way to increase the bias but end the end it must be summed to the output to the bias circuit.  We use to design analog amps for or Seismic equipment for exploration. One method is to monitor or sample the signal, it will take have multiple stages of opamps is series then compare it to a the decision point then sum the decision to the bias to increase it current and voltage p. Of the speed of the gain decision must be quick. The purpose of was the  digital control of gain was to keep the ADC at 3/4 full scale. That is the point that an ADC is most linear. This works great as we would ranging the gain of 64 channels at a time.  I have always found to keep it simple it the best approach. I have left off details because to in theory become complex. But it should work fine if was implemented to meet the change in bias in the correct time domain.  Straight class A is is more simple of course.  I always thought my Krell KSA250 was a little harsh they must have improved but it did not have dynamic biasing.

If it changed the bias in few milliseconds you will not know the difference. However can the power demand keep up, will it compress the dynamics in the outputs. The main reason for doing this is to save money in the power supply and lowering the weight and size of the chassis.

Example,  If a fiber is Cut on a long haul fiber network happen the system will switch to a backup fiber with in 50msec . ( telecom voice and data ) it has been proven that at most you will hear tick in that time period of 50msec to restore the path. The data is buffered and request a retransmission and it works.

In the long run you’ve added unneeded complexity to a simple amplifier to reduce cost those element I mentioned. Keep it simple stupid is the cry. But it can work, I never compared one type amp to another 🤷‍♂️