kingko KA 101 advice for sub

Hi, I’ve got a Kingko 101 that sounds great with the vintage Hereseys I have but the Hereseys would benefit from having a sub. Any suggestions that fits with this humble budget system?
chrisamaxwell
Yes subs work well with the Heresy. Any quality sub will work. From a 10 inch HSU to a 15 inch Velodyne or whatever. They would also work better with a little more power but you'll enjoy the sub and you can use it to take some load off of your amp.  
Heresy's start to roll off at 65hz. A powered sub is needed for the bottom two octaves. The Heresy was designed mainly for PA use back in 1956.
sources send very low signals to any equipment.

Raven says low bass is 65% of power needs:

https://www.ravenaudio.com/product/blackhawk-mk3/

"High-Pass Crossover

This addition to the Avian series provides an extraordinary advantage when using a subwoofer. It frees the power amp from 65% of the load it normally has to bear. This is like tripling the power of the amplifier in terms of its ability to drive speakers. It also frees smaller speakers from reproducing low bass frequencies that they really don’t reproduce very well which lowers overall distortion. This is all achieved with a gentle 6db per octave slope making it easy to achieve a seamless transition with a good quality subwoofer."

Thus you want to move the bass amplification job away from your 12 wpc amp.

And you want to produce lower bass the speakers cannot make cleanly or at volumes equal to everything else.

unfortunately, like my 10 wpc Luxman, your kingko does not have pre-out/main in. that means it will always try to amplify the low bass signals it receives from your sources.

and then try to make the Heresey’s produce that bass even though they admit they cannot make low bass well.

you can run speaker wires out to a self-powered sub, let it make low bass, it will pass everything above low bass on to the Hereseys, thus they will get a break, no longer try to make low bass, and you will add the bass the sub makes.

BUT, the amp will always try to amplify the bass signals from the sources.

That’s what I get away with in my small office where moderate volume is enough.

For more volume in a larger space: To use a low powered amp like yours (no pre-out), you can add a preamp with an in/out loop: pre out/main in; or processor loop; or tape loop. then you go source to preamp. preamp sends all frequencies out to the self-powered sub which takes the low bass, sends everything except low bass back to the preamp, thus your 12 wpc no longer sees/trys to make low bass. (or go from sub line out into your integrated, depending on how you want to control volume.

Any simple source selector can be used to pass the selected source’s line level to the sub line-in will work for this.

"...The Heresy was designed mainly for PA use back in 1956..."

That would be the LaScala. The Heresy was a center fill channel to go between two Klipschorns.