KEF Reference 3 or Raidho X2?

KEF Reference 3 or Raidho X2?
Which one you would buy?
cclee2022

Showing 1 response by mgrif104

I suspect you’ll get a range of opinions shared here from those who like KEF or Raidho and those who suggest you look elsewhere.  As i own KEF Ref 3s after taking a very long time in evaluating them against many others in their general price range, I’ll weigh in.  I haven’t heard the Raidho line though I’m sure they’re quite nice.

With respect to KEF Reference 3s - I like them very much and (obviously) preferred them over all the others and I auditioned a lot of them extensively.  (Competitors were the obvious and a few not so obvious).  Like all higher performing speakers, component matching is important.  Some criticize these KEFs for a “metallic” overtone in a narrow region of the treble.  I actually heard some of this anomaly with lower quality components during demos.  But, it is non-existent in my room with my gear.

I have heard the Ref 3s in an A/B comparison w/ the KEF Blades.  Yes, the Blades were better, but the voicing and sound quality were remarkably similar such that I couldn’t personally justify the additional expense.

KEFs are well designed and engineered, and backed by a company with a fine reputation and longer history than most. So, personal preferences aside, it’d be hard to go wrong here.  If I had an unlimited budget and the room, I’d probably have Rockports.  But, I’m pretty happy w/ what I have. 

Best,