KEF Reference 3

Hi to all.

I own Q acoustics concept 500 which are exceptional speakers for the price. No complaints at all and I feel they sound better from some  little costlier speakers I’ve heard.

I just had a good offer for Kef reference 3 and I think of it...I listened to KEF with a Macintosh .Very detailed and analytical , huge soundstage (the bigger soundstage I’ve heard in speaker until now) but less warm than Q acoustics and maybe a little dry compared to them. Maybe I am accustomed to concepts.

The problem is that I heard them in a different place with different amplifier and CD player so I cannot make certain conclusions.

Have anyone heard both to make a comparison? Do they worth the money? I can buy them for only 4.500 euros and they’ve been used a few months.

Forgot to say that I pair my speakers with Marantz pm ki ruby/sa ki ruby.

Thank you.
itzikia
The Concepts are good enough to see you through upgrading your upstream components. I'd put my money there instead.
Thank you for the response.

Have you ever compared both speakers?

Do you also have any suggestions for other amp/source?

I thought the Marantz combo is good enough.
I own KEF Reference 3s so you should understand that I’m biased in their favor.  I am also not familiar w/ the Q acoustics Concepts. We are all guilty of promoting gear we own.  That cleared up: 

the KEFs are well regarding for imaging and soundstage - things you noticed.  Based on their white papers, this was a design goal of their coincident driver and a fully realized design goal.

I would also suggest the KEFs are quite accurate.  You noticed them as being very detailed and analytical.  Today, companies like KEF and B&W use their significant engineering prowess to make accurate speakers to most price points. They have resources that few other speaker manufacturers can match.  

It may very well be that you perceive the KEF as dry, but with proper setup and decent equipment (and I think your Marantz gear should suffice - though the speakers will clearly also reward moving upstream) the speakers were reflecting what they’re fed. 

Of course, some prefer the more romantic sound of Sonus Faber. Some prefer richer, brighter, darker, more dynamic etc.  The KEFs, for their price, are just pretty accurate. Perfect? Of course not.  But, I do find them really rewarding on most things.  On some poorly recording music, I’d benefit from a more forgiving presentation. But that’s really not the fault of the speaker.

So, it comes down to what you want.  There are others who believe there are much better options.  But really, it’s all a matter of taste - what do you want in a speaker?  For me, I no longer want for more from my speakers.  And, I’ve been through more than a few and listened to many, many options before purchasing.  

I would suggest you listen to them again - at length.  Perhaps you could even bring your gear.  It’s a big purchase.  It takes time listening to get comfortable with a decision either way.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Best, 
Post removed