Jvc tt101 ql10 platter repair or for sale

Dear all i have a jvc ql10/tt101 that was damaged in transit. Thankfully wilkinsons have repaired it very well and done a couple of upgrades too.

There is one problem - the platter got a bit damaged and is slightly bent.

Does anyone have:

A ql10 tt101 thats just being used as a doorstop? Let me know i will buy

A recommended machinist/blacksmith who can get it bent back perfectly - i am based in London uk
lohanimal

Showing 4 responses by lewm

Two amazing stories of ultra-cheap QL-10s.  Most people do not know what these things can do.
Most likely, for the TT101, one would want to sand the entire chassis of the turntable, along with the platter. The tolerance with which the platter fits into the chassis and on the spindle is very close. It is up to Lohanimal whether he wants to bear the cost of shipping on top of the cost of repair. But a workingTT101 is immeasurably more valuable than a non-functional TT101 that is worth nothing and gives no pleasure.

I am referencing an independent machinist who is unique, so far as I know, in that he is willing to deal with the fetishes of a typical audiophile, is very skilled, is amicable and not terribly expensive.  I know of no other machinist with his particular set of skills.  While I realize that geography stands in the way of a connection between Lohanimal and Colby Lamb, I don't think it's an insurmountable obstacle.  If you know of a machinist in the UK who can help Lohanimal, why not volunteer the info?  If not, why complain?  I've done business with Colby several times from a distance of about 2500 miles, over a period of several years. (I live in Maryland.)  Yet I have never met him and wouldn't recognize him if he rang my doorbell. Lohanimal is only a bit further off, really.  Once the turntable is on an airplane, it's not much different to send it 6000 miles (New York to London + New York to Oregon) vs 2500 miles.  Anyway, Lohanimal knows about Colby; I agree there must be someone suitable in the UK, but that person is incognito so far.
Lohanimal, Every time you have a problem that requires a machinist, I recommend Colby Lamb in Oregon, USA. I think by now you know all about this. I’m quite sure Colby could make you a completely new platter to specification. Probably superior to the original.