Joni Mitchell Blue - Wow help me Agoners

I just got this CD and I love the honesty and emotion of it. Her voice is wonderful. I have some of her newer ones, but her voice and her raw emotion are so much better on Blue.

The recording is a little thin and wonder if there is a better version out there? Where do I get it? Last, can you Joni fans tell me which other albums are like Blue. I want to buy more of her stuff, but want the emotion, voice and style of Blue.

I know I should be more familiar with Blue as I am 44, but I just played it for the first time today. Now this is art!
128x128grannyring

Showing 1 response by car123

One of the first concerts I ever attended was Joni Mitchell solo at the troubador in LA right around the time blue was released. It was unbelievable. How can someone channel emotion so?

Blue is one of my all time favorite albums, a desert isle recording. It is best listened to alone late at night or early in the morning.

I own many copies of this recording. The best is my first pressing on vinyl. The vocals and instruments are extremely realistic. The second best is the dcc gold cd, which I sought out years after it went out of print, and for which I paid a pretty penny. Both are exceptional. I use both as system demo discs. The biggest criticism of the recording is its abundant treble energy. Stereophile interviewed Steve Hoffman (?) who remastered this record for DCC and he commented on the difficulties he had taming this energy. The two above versions have smooth treble and palpable realistic detail and timbre. Lesser versions can sound harsh.

Any early joni is excellent but blue is her masterwork.