John Mayall has passed away

Sad. What a great talent. He was 90.

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/24/g-s1-13000/john-mayall-british-blues-pioneer-dies

128x128mofimadness

Laurel Canyon was always my favorite. RIP. Mayall was the launching pad for so many great musicians, there has never been anyone quite like him.

I didn’t mean any disrespect, but when I plugged JM name into a search engine (I hadn’t heard his name in 50 years or so), the SE spat out an article on Toots etc. another example of AI run amok.  That gave me a laugh.

I remember someone in my dorm had tha Bluesbreakers album and played it incessantly while trying to learn the guitar solo

@mitch2 

Thanks. I'm familiar with both of those. 

I actually prefer the live Boston set to the other you mention. 

With both, I skip the J. Spencer stuff. 

The playing on the 70th anniversary set was better than I'd anticipated. 

Very first concert I ever went to, around 16 years old (72 now), Washington State University, in a very small college town around 40 miles south of where I grew up, mostly.

Warm up act, Duster Bennett, one man band, incredibly talented and entertaining.

Main act, John Mayall and the Blues Breakers and I was blown away by the whole event, might of had a bit to do with loaves of bread, bottles of wine and huge joints being passed around to it seems everyone was partaking....

If my memory serves me right it was the first time to also see Eric Clapton but I am not certain.

Over the years I was not that into much of JM music but it was always done incredibly well though I think his best aspect was introducing up and coming highly talented people which he did a great deal of.

I will always remember that as a very special event in my life, including seeing Duster Bennett and the rest of JM's band though some it seems a big hazy for some reason.

RIP JM, well deserved.

Rick

I'm listening to a Mayall album called A Hard Road (1967).

I don't know how I missed it when it came out but what a gem. Peter Green, John McVie, Ansley Dunbar. It's classic psychedelic blues with great performances and remarkably good sound quality. Peter Green is on fire. Highly recommended!