JLH 2003 Class A - how good is it?

Hello.
There is such an amplifier KIT JLH2003 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-HOOD-JLH2003-Class-A-Single-ended-power-amplifier-DIY-Kit-22W-22W-8oh...
How good is it? Is it possible to buy a class A  amplifier better for the money?

Sorry for my English, I use google translate
pumpweel
There are way better class A amps out there, Luxman ,Pass labs, Sungden all make excellent class A amps. 

this kit is very inexpensive and IMO you pay for what you get specially in class A where heat management is a major issue.  $44. is nothing in Audio and I'd question the reliability and safety of a Class A amp like that. that said if your looking to build a kit maybe its a fun project but i'd not expect much from it when its done. 
Well, I can replace these cheap components with better transistors, capacitors and resistors, and the sound will probably get better from this.
I do not know anything about the heating of this amplifier, but I think that he needs massive radiators.
Buy a second-hand First Watt F5 clone by Tim Rawson. I have one! Forget that bag-o-parts Ch*nese kit! The John Linsey Hood is an ancient (1967) amp design!
Yes 1969 is an old 10+10w scheme. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-2-Two-Channel-JLH-1969-A-CLASS-A-Amplifier-Board-DIY-Kit-ST2N3055-MKP/...
But this is the new 2003 scheme.
First Watt F5 clone retails for $ 700. which is not comparable with the price of JLH.
Most likely for such little money you can’t buy a better-sounding amplifier.
That Ch*nese kit looks like junk! Where's the power transformer? What about. the heat sinks? In this life you get what you pay for!
@ roberjerman This is Kits for the DIY. You yourself buy a case with radiators and a transformer according to your preferences

I would rather hear the opinions of people who really heard how this amplifier sounds.

Hi pumpweel,

Wondering how you went with your quest for DIY satisfaction...

I've built a few of these JLH'69 units.  The kits invariably use poor quality parts and I would avoid these completely.

My approach was to buy the bare boards online (AliExpress) and then source all the parts directly from 1st source suppliers.  The boards I purchased were 'AIYIWA' brand - surprisingly good quality (AliExpress description: "AIYIMA 2Pcs Hood 1969 Class A Audio Amplifier PCB Board Perfect 6 Tube Mute Version Bare PCB").

I then purchased components from Element14 / Mouser / Digikey / RS Components and built up the boards.  You're looking at ~120USD per built up amp (ie. ~240USD for a stereo pair).

These are 10W Class A amps, with capacitive coupled outputs.  They don't play loud nor low, but their midrange is immensely satisfying.

Nothing can replace the involvement of building your own equipment and if you're keen to do so, you'll most likely find it a satisfying experience.  As robejerman points out, though, the power transformer(s) - I used one per channel - and the casing will also need to be acquired and built up, but if you have the time and enthusiasm, go for and have fun while you do.

Ross

I have a full sized cost no object build of a JLH69 with fully regulated PSU + PEH169 caps. Very nice and not to be underestimated into Klipsch Heritage speakers. Sounds so ’right’ and one of my favourite amps.

can‘t for the life of me see how those small Chinese copies could possibly function with those tiny heatsinks - unless they run the output transistors below spec. They need a large surface area.

Hi pesky_wabbit,

I fully agree - the components in built up or kit JLH amps are garbage.  I had posted a link to bare boards available on AliExpress - the ones I received were of high quality.

The quality of the components one populates the boards with, along with power transformer, casework, etc. be up to the individual constructor's requirements and budget...

My personal experience with the JLHs is, as you say - they sound 'right', especially in the midrange, but they can't play very low, due to the capacitive coupled speaker outputs.

Did you also try the 1996 / 2003 circuit variants?  If so, what was your experence with them?

Regards,

Ross

hi Ross, I only built the original, but it has a 300VA transformer, huge PEH169 psu caps, fully regulated +_ rails, and roedersteib gold output caps. I've never noticed any issues with the bottom end, but then I usually run it with pretty efficient speakers. The idea of modifying it has never really appealed as I have been pretty happy with it as is.

This is a kit that you need to complete it with other parts, so of course you need a transformer. And what included is not the full heat sink , it is a heat transfer piece to a full size heat sink. These kits are decent , feel free to replace any component as you like.