JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor: Opinions?

Any fellow 'goners who are familiar with them? I'm curious how they compare to Audioengine A2+ for nearfield listening/computer speakers.

Thanks.
ps

Showing 3 responses by ps

Hi Bob:
Thanks for the suggestion RE: Guitar Center, etc. I will do that asap.
I also appreciate the audiostream desktop speaker review link.

Ps
I do have room for larger desktop speakers and will eagerly research the LSR series.

The AE's are not bad small speakers. Imaging and detail is fine. However, my primary objection is that they sound rather "threadbare" to me, and I can't overlook that deficiency as I listen to them. I'm running Amarra SQ, and have tweaked the frequency response to fill the bass and lower midrange out a bit, and bring treble down a tad, in an attempt to make the AE's sound fuller.
I had intended to audition the JBLs but found that to be logistically more of a challenge than I first thought. When I saw a great deal on a pair of refurbished Audioengine A5+'s I grabbed 'em.

The A5+ are placed on my computer desk and after just a few minutes of listening, I'm enjoying the "larger" sound as compared to the A2+, which are also fine speakers IMO.

They provide the "fullness" that I was missing with the A2+. If I roll my chair back from the desk, my computer "rig" now becomes a quite decent second audio system when my wife is watching movies downstairs. :)

Next I'll need to find a decent DAC but even connected to the headphone jack on my MacPro, so far so good. I think the A5s are keepers.