Is there any streamer/integrated competitor to NAD C-388 w/BluOS2i MDC?

With the BluOS2i MDC module, the C-388 essentially becomes a very high-power Bluesound PowerNode2i with 4 (A-B switchable) speaker outs. Besides NAD’s other streamer/integrated (M32, that doesn’t have A-B capability), is there any other brand offering the all-in-one features of C-388?
128x128mwatsme

Showing 6 responses by mwatsme

After being told the "cheap" DAC (Burr Brown PCM1975 24bit/192kHz chipset) in NAD C388 wBluOS2i MDC might make music sound "flat", I’m on the hunt to upgrade the NAD C388 (something with better DAC chipset/implementation?).

Posting here for advice, because I can’t find anything. Hopefully there is something that can compete?

Here’s what the C388 does, setting the minimum requirements for an upgrade unit...
~ Stream FLAC and other formats from NAS, Amazon UltraHD (and other services) via Wifi and Ethernet controlled with Alexa, PC, Android apps
~ Front-panel display (like Denon/Marantz AVR’s) - bonus points for showing album art!
~ Typical phono, analog/digital and Bluetooth aptX inputs
~ Analog outputs - bonus points for digital outs (C388 doesn’t have that)
~ >150w continuous both channels 20-20kHz @ 8ohms <0.02%THD without getting hot (like Denon/Marantz)
~ Rated down to 2ohm @ 400w (necessary for difficult speakers like ML e-stats)
~ Doesn’t need speaker A/B - currently using miniDSP 4x10HD and ATI class AB amp for speaker evals to balance gain avoiding loudness bias (second 2ch system in the same rack for speaker development)

Denon/Marantz, Anthem, Naim, Lyngdorf, Hegel don’t have it. AmazonUltraHD, 150w (full-range continuous), and 2ohm stable really narrows the field. Is there anything out there with better sound (specifically the DAC) while fulfilling the requirements?
NAD M32 may be a contender. Upgrade from the C388 in the amp section. Where C388 has Hypex UcD, M32 has Ncore? (upgrade from Ucd in the Hypex line) - lower THD and higher dampening, better front panel display and remote than C388. What I find about M32 spec's doesn't paint the best picture... https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1697:bhk-labs-measurements-nad-masters-series-m32-directdigital-dac-integrated-amplifier&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

If its not an immediate and obvious improvement - there is little value justifying the spend.
Yes, Amazon UltraHD preferred partners list is here:  https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_AMHDFAQ_md2_w?node=14063680011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=RF10X3D09K7G2F3T8YKB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=8a024364-032a-457c-ac7c-a4f8b1d51579&pf_rd_i=14070322011#hd-edu-brands

And looks to be mostly made-up of conglomerates;
Sound United (Denon, Marantz, Polk, DefTech, Boston, Classe'),
Samsung/Harman (Arcam and many many others)
Lenbrook (NAD, Bluesound, PSB)
Bagby (Paradigm, Anthem, Martin Logan)
McIntosh group (Mc, Sonus Faber, etc.)
Voxx (Klipsch), Rotel (B&W), and the typical big home audio icons, Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo/Integra, Bose. 
djones51 
Thanks! M33 has a much nicer display/touchscreen than M32 and C388.
Looks like they removed the digital output of M32 - bummer, because with that you can use the M32 as a streamer/preamp, and run it through a separate DAC to external amp (or in my case miniDSP4x10 to D70 to ATI amp). But, M33 does have separate 2x sub-outs plus line-outs, that's nice.

Gold Note looks to be a fine unit - missing critical system requirements for my purposes; 2ohm-stable, AmazonUHD, Alexa, etc.

Maybe it fits rfarassat's needs with its DSD64 capability.
Thanks for the recommendations! The Denon/Marantz siblings are new models I didn't know about. Both rated down to 6 ohms (Martin Logans can hit 1.6 ohms momentarily), so the Hegel seems like the best option (rated to 2 ohms), and like the NAD M32, it won't A-B speakers. Hegel is in a higher price and quality league, similar to NAD M32. Maybe when I've advanced to that level, I won't want to A-B compare speakers?

Seperate steamer would be great. Looking to keep everything compact in one box, with fewest analog connections - phono only (for those special occasions).

Thanks again!