Is there actually a difference?

Speakers sound different - that is very obvious. But I’ve never experienced a drastic change between amps. Disclaimer that I’ve never personally ABX tested any extremely high end gear.

With all these articles claiming every other budget amp is a "giant killer", I’ve been wondering if there has ever been blind tests done with amplifiers to see if human ears can consistently tell the difference. You can swear to yourself that they do sound different, but the mind is a powerful thing, and you can never be sure unless it’s a truly blind test.

One step further - even IF we actually can tell the difference and we can distinguish a certain amp 7/10 times under extreme scrutiny, is it really worth the thousands you are shelling out to get that nearly-imperceivable .01% increase in performance?

Not looking to stir up any heated debate. I’ve been in audio for several years now and have always thought about this.
asianatorizzle
Post removed 
Maybe it is just in my setup but I am certain I can hear a difference in solid state amps. Auditioned several amplifiers with my Tannoy XT8 speakers along the way.

Started with a Creek 50A - warm and very pleasant but not much energy. Moved to a Naim XS and definitely got a more solid presentation top to bottom. Then the eye wanders and I try the big Peachtree class D and the PS Audio 700 Monoblocks. Neither myself nor my wife could really every enjoy either class D. Dry and thin were the words we came up with independently. Strong dynamics but no joy. Could be the Tannoy sensitivity just not playing ball as plenty of reviewers like them enough.

Now I run a Hegel 160 though the week and a Primaluna Dialogue Premium Integrated on the weekend and any days I can just sit and listen. The Hegel has a great sound for a SS but the Primaluna is just so very nice. Might try me Sugden, Class A Luxman or First Watt next for a little bit of that SS warmth folks talk about.
"SS amplification (pre and power) reached such a high level of development over the past three decades that competing units are functionally and sonically equivalent. "

This is simply NOT true. If you have decent ears, you can tell the difference between a $1000.00 and a $5,000.00 SS amp. I had an Anthem A5 which has roughly 225 WPC into 5 channels. It has one power supply on board. It sounded light years better than the Integra 5 channel, 125 WPC, it replaced. Now I have an Anthem P5 which has a whopping 325 WPC into 5 channels, each channel has it's own PS, and I can definitely hear another HUGE step up in SQ. The difference is headroom. With lower, lesser quality amps you have much less than with higher end units. There is a reason they cost more, the quality of components and engineering invested.
Post removed 
The challenge with tests is that the testers are in an unfamiliar room, with unfamiliar gear, and unfamiliar music. It's overwhelming and in these conditions SPEAKERS can be difficult to discern. 

Slip a new amp into my system, in my room, and with my music and I'm going to notice the change.