Is the Berning ZH270 revalatory?

I have been listening to a Berning ZH270 (supplied by the inimitable Allan Bhagan) and I wonder if others who have lived with it longer than I continue to find it to be as extraordinary as I do. I have listened to SETs, powerful leading edge SS, and much in between. In my estimation the modest Berning outdoes them all. Am I being excessive in my initial zeal?
mew
Hi Fiddler

The mods include selected and matched cryoed 6jn6 output tubes. The input driver tubes should be procured through Andy of Vintage Audio who has the correct electrical characteristics per the manufacturer. ERS "stealth" covers which minimizes the effect of RFI interference and covers the impedance converters and is also added on several locations inside and on the bottom cover of the amp. Upgraded coupling caps which are also cryoed treated.

Saving the best for last or should I say pulling it all together and taking the amp to a greater level of performance than I could believe was possible is the hybrid silver wire for the inputs and power cables inside the amp. I had this mod done almost 3 weeks ago. I heard the improvement immediately but true to his word, Allan told me to wait about 2 weeks to realize the significance of this mod. I must say that I really heard it last night to the degree I expect he was referring to.

To owners of this amp that have had the other mods done, each has brought something different to the performance of the amp. The wire, which should be saved for last is easily the most significant. The sense of ease and greater inner resolution is readily apparent. Instruments and textures are better delineated and much more realistic, closer to the performance. I have never heard such transparency from an audio component. I had the opportunity to listen to this mod in my system through Fourproof's mono amps. I can certainly attest to Vetterone's comments concerning the bass performance of 2 of these amps on the Merlins. It was almost too much. But on material with low bass information, there was a sense of ease and power that one amp couldn't match. I was continually bombarded by puffs of air coming from the ports of the Merlins at 9' away, this at quite moderate listening levels.
First let me say congratulations Mew, for taking the leap and purchasing a Berning. In reference to your question I think that you will find Berning owners to be quite a tight knit group of audiophiles who are quite fond/fanatical of the product. I would be willing to bet that if you were to look up some of the posters/berning owners you will find similar threads expressing the very same "zeal" you talk about. That is the very core of the fanaticism of the product. It has been revalatory for all of us in certain ways. Though we may all have different musical tastes it is still able to cater to all in a most remarkable fashion. That IS the revalation. You get out what you put in. What also sets the Berning apart is that the "revalation" continues through certain upgrades. Keeping in mind NONE of the upgrades are changes in circuitry design. They are simply changes in component quality. This is the hallmark on a truly exceptional product. It is more than the sum of its parts. So, Mew, sit back and enjoy your music like never before. For anyone interested in upgrades contact Allan Bhagan. He is a gentleman in every sense of the word, and a pleasure do do business with. Allans overriding principle it to see that you are satisfied with the product, by offering service rarely seen today.
Kris
Mew,

I agree with most of what has been said here and will not repeat what has been stated, The Berning ZH 270, JE LA 150, Cardas GR, Merlin VSM combo has brought so much listening pleasure to my Rig that I long for nothing else.

The past 18 months have been a pleassure and a special thanks to Tubegroover for steering me in the direction, Bobby@Merlin for his system building approach advice and Allan for his dedication and committment to tweaking the ultimate sound from the 270.

In a hobby that is built around constant search for bigger and hopefuly better sound (not always the deal however, just check the "For Sales" here) the ZH 270 with mods and careful system "building" will surely bring hour upon hour of listening enjoyment.

Allan's latest mods has brought new levels of resoultion to my Rig. I find myself totally engrossed in the emotion of the performance and no longer a hyper-critical listener but rather a music lover. Big words for a hobby that has lots of very very unhappy folks on the treadmill of constant upgrading in search ofthe "Absolute Sound".

Mew, your in for a treat!
Mew: I am glad to read your response to my concerns, and to be assured that they were groundless. Just to be clear, I'm in complete agreement with Allanbhagan and 84audio that no forum protocol is broken by putting in a good word for a dealer if such applies, though you may often find that in particularly lauditory posts, members will state for the record that they have no affiliation with the manufacturers or dealers in question. You may also find that threads specifically promulgating the virtues of particular pieces of gear typically reside in the "Reviews" section and are framed as comprehensive statements of personal experience, rather than in the topical catagories, framed as 'leading' questions (at least as such distinctions apply to thread-starters, as opposed to responses). But as I've said, I was intrigued enough to post my cautionary remarks not due just to the wording of your thread (i.e., coming across as possibly being a 'troll') in isolation, but only in conjunction with your being a new forum contributor as well. On ocassion threads resembling this one have popped up appearing to promote a certain product, and then the new 'member' who originally posted is seemingly never heard from again. If I needn't have worried in your case, then I look foward to reading your future forum participation (and considering the weight of consensus in this thread, maybe even breaking down and going to have a listen to the Berning amplifier for myself...)