Is OPPO worth the inflated price?

I've had my eye on the now discontinued OPPO UDP-205 for some time (more for playing my CD's than for video)  but am discouraged that units which last sold retail for $1299 are now asking $3500. Is this worth it and if so who are the buyers? Would appreciate the group's input. . 
hsc3md

Showing 1 response by larry5729

Please excuse me for breaking into this discussion.  Hearing this discussion about your OPPO 205 reminded me of my situation.  However, I do not know how to originate a discussion.  

I have an OPPO UPD 203 connected to an ARCAM AVR550 with a pair of Paradigm Prestige 85F towers.  When I set up my system I decided to stream TIDAL.  To eliminate signal breakup, I have direct wired the modem in my family room to my Apple TV in the family room by using CAD 6 cable and I direct wired the Apple TV using CAD6 to the back of my ARCAM.  Since then, I do not find myself using my OPPO to play CD's.  I wonder if anyone knows if I am sacrificing sound quality by streaming TIDAL as compared to playing CD's through my OPPO.  Also, when I do use the OPPO the dealer I purchased the ARCAM from suggested  I  connect the OPPO  with an RCA cable when playing CD's to improve sound quality.  However, doesn't this utilize the DAC in the OPPO rather the DAC in the OPPO?  This said, which has the better DAC, the OPPO or the ARCAM.  I also have the OPPO connected by HDMI to watch movies and I wonder when listening to CD's if I would improve sound quality by using the HDMI connection?