Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

I'm 70 and I've always tried to keep up with contemporary rock, reggae, and pop music. I don't like jazz, blues, or country, but I like all kinds of indie rock and pop, and hip-hop/rap, metal, etc. I also like Grateful Dead music! 

There are so many thousands of new releases each year that nobody could ever listen to more than a fraction of it, so it's amusing to see so much of it written off as 'not as good as music from the 60's' or whenever. Sounds like people of my parents' generation going on about all rock music sounding the same - noise! - and why can't you listen to Bing Crosby and Perry Como - that's REAL music! 🤣🤣 Guess some things don't change. 

@jssmith I like to watch Rick Beato videos.  I've learned much about modern music from him and about guitars.   

I suppose I am not a Sigma.  However, I never want to retire.  I run a full business (which is now mostly from home, real estate rentals and equity investments) instead of my former driving 30,000 miles annually all over California for commercial real estate appraisal.   High school IQ tests had me at 97 (Stanford/Binet) and 98 (Berkeley).  The school informed my father than I should be in pass/fail courses.  I had already achieved nearly straight A's in accelerated courses so all that remained were AP courses.  It was either college instead of 12th grade or AP.  They permitted me to take AP courses instead of losing student funding.   By 18, I was a junior at UCLA in dual majors.  I took an on-line IQ test which tested me at 129.  Maybe I got better at test taking 50 years later,  

@larsman Yes, I agree that there is much new music which I have not heard.   I also agree that so much great music was recorded in the past 100+ years just like so much great film/video was recorded.   I have 550 DVDs/Blu-Rays and an avid watcher of TCM movies.   Comedy, musicals and film noir are my favorites (my wife forgoes the musicals).   Video is much easier to retrieve great picture quality compared to music.   4K high end LCD screens were not wallet breakers.  However, I have a higher end audio system which is 15X+ more expensive than TV screens to achieve similar results. 

OK.  TWO best posts I’ve ever seen on this forum. #hilde45 and #mike_in_nc. BRAVO!  I needed that laugh tonight. Please keep it going!  

Why don’t you just delete your first posting. It is lacking in context and appears to be an equity play for young people versus boomers. Equal opportunity is available to young people.

Yeah, I won’t be deleting anything. The pressure on younger people is intense, and the article offers quite a lot of evidence on how corporate practices are squeezing them in their pursuit of sustainable careers in music. I understand the generation-based defensiveness in the responses, and though I am likely of the same age as the posters here -- I’m in my 50s -- I will not be jumping on the bandwagon that says, "Everything is the same as it was" or "Young people complain too much." I have taught young people for 30 years and have seen their lives become manifestly more difficult, due to no fault of their own. I understand what is happening in terms of political and economic power sharing, and the disadvantages they face in the music industry is just the tip of the iceberg. I won’t be discussing this further with ostriches who prefer to keep their head in the sand. And anyone who tells me I can "get off my butt" should know that I found Archie Bunker to be a sad, pathetic but funny character on TV. In real life, such ignoramus behavior is just something I find pathetic and I won't engage with it beyond suggesting where that comment could be shoved.