Is mixing RCA and XLR cables bad?

I’m getting a new Lyngdorf HT processor and it only outputs via balanced XLR connection.  All my current cables are RCA and I don’t feel like replacing them all yet (till I research XLR cables), so I’m going with an XLR to RCA adaptor cable.
Lyngdorf specifically mentions that any adapter must have pin 3 lifted.  I found only one appropriate adaptor, made by Emotiva. I can use this for all connections, but my McIntosh mc452 also has specific RCA/XLR instructions that confuse me, so I though maybe I’d buy XLR cable just for the Mac for now. Is this bad? Will the pure XLR connection have different volume output versus the XLR to RCA adaptor connection?  Does it matter?

Appreciate any advice/guidance.

jeffkad

@glennewdick wrote

If your new Lyngdorf and your Mac both have balanced out and in why don't you just buy one lower cost balanced cable and use that. why try to make a balanced to RCA cable if you do not need it. Balanced cables are not as susceptible to noise induction so you do not need to spend huge money on balanced cables.

Exactly, why not just connect the unit via XLR cable???

@testpilot : Exactly, why not just connect the unit via XLR cable???

I agree. Balanced cables made with Mogami W2549 and Neutrik gold XLRs will give very good performance indeed. In my comparisons, they were less colored than an "audiophile" cable costing 20x as much.

You can get them on Amazon from an outfit calling itself "Worlds Best Cables" or made to the exact lengths you need from many pro audio shops. The one I use is ProAudioLA.

A 3-ft pair will cost about $50.

I wanted to use adaptors while I researched best XLR cables.  However I decided to believe that basic high quality pro XLR cable would be fine, so I just ordered 7 Canare Star Quad cables with Neutrik connectors from B&H Photo.  Also got the Emotiva XLR to RCA adaptor for my sub out, as the Velodyne sub only take RCA.  Thanks for everyone’s input!