Is low cost DAC worth it?

Been learning a lot from you fine folks... thanks!

I am driving Boston Acoustic Lynnfield 975 speakers with a Willsenton R8 amp (recent purchase to try it out) and streaming over wifi through Apple Airport Express. It sounds pretty good but I find myself wondering if adding a low cost DAC would improve the sound any?

Maybe something like the Cambridge DacMagic 100 or 200M?

My hearing is not that great anymore, so I don’t think it makes sense to jump on a DAC costing thousands, but I understand the Airport Express is a decent DAC, so not sure if a low cost one would make any difference?

tbick

Schiit owns this market/price range and the DAC will be a huge upgrade over the $1.25 chip in your laptop.  You won't be sorry.

If you are very budget constrained, Schiit Modi MULTIBIT = 300 dollars (unbelievable value).

Above that (for perceptible gains)....

Denafrips Ares = 800ish bucks

Gustard R26 = 1750ish bucks

Denafrips Venus and so on...

If your employer gave you a big bonus, you could try some DAC from the bigger boys...the likes of Esoteric, TAD, etc. I have a unit from TAD (15kish)...99% of dudes with their brilliant rigs won’t hear a whole freaking lot on the latter over something like a Denafrips Venus.

That should give you a feel for diminishing returns on dacs.

The Wiim Pro+ is the only way to go if on a tight budget. It's a streamer and Dac. Lots of online info and reviews.

It sounds way better than the price would suggest and has great functionality. 

You can get a used Benchmark DAC 1 for less than $500 and you get a great headphone amplifier and pre-amplifier to boot. The performance is not materially different from the $2,000 DAC 3.