Is KEF no longer relevant?

It seems to me that 20 years ago Kef was quite a respected speaker manufacturer. Granted I knew far less back then about audiophilia, but for someone just starting out, that was my impression at the time.

Although Kef still makes speakers in the $5,000 - $15,000 range, they never seem to be the subject of serious discussion here on the 'Gon. These discussions are dominated by a group of the usual 20 or so suspects that we hear about over and over again. And no disrespect meant against that group - they are mostly, if not all, great speakers to be sure. But Kef certainly at one time was a pioneering and extrememly respected brand. What happened? Is this because they lost their "sound" after Raymond Cooke died? (an accusation I remember reading somewhere) Or are they just perceived as a "yesterday's news" brand?

No doubt there are many happy Kef owners out there who may answer this thread telling me how great their speakers are, even by today's standards, and I have no argument with them - I am a former Kef owner and very fond of the brand - but they clearly are not "darlings" of this forum. What happened?
studioray
Interesting thread. Lots of replies and for a long period of time; so I'll chime in. I purchased a set of Kef 3-2 Reference speakers back in 1995. They replaced my JBL L-65 speakers purchased in 1978. I've been content with the sound quality, although, I'm not sure I would do a repeat purchase of this specific model design with the 'opposed firing' bass speakers (woofers). I've ran them bi-wired, single wired, solid state and tubed. They are holding up well after, my goodness, 20 years already.........
Still not sure about the R700's I have home on demo. The dealer will take them back, as agreed but isn't keen to so they are offering to knock off another 10% on an already very good price.
They are sounding better as they break in.
Tried the Revel F206 this weekend and though I liked them in the store, I knew within 30 seconds of listening at home that they were a no-go. Supposedly "smooth" treble but my immediate thought was " ouch...metal dome tweeters".
The KEFs, despite also having a metal tweeter, are much sweeter.
Just wish they had more midrange presence.
While living in the metro Boston area 16 years ago I blew a (Single)Kef Driver in my Rogers LS35a. I found a new set at Cambridge Sound Works for approximately $150. I replaced only one and sealed the second as a spare. My Rogers paired with their Sub Woofer, though >30 years old out performed my Intros when connected with my CR Amp. When I reconfigured all of my speakers with my HK Home Theatre I used the Intros for front left and right; Rogers for Rear Left and Right; and a B&W Center Channel.

Yes, there's certainly a heaven ...
Today, I replaced an 80's era KEF Reference 102 that I was using as a center speaker with an R 600C that seems a much better match to the Reference 107/2s. I'll balance levels tomorrow, but it sounds quite good as is.

For music, I still think I prefer the phantom center the 107/2s generate, but I'll do some more listening. The Cary Cinema 11a has movie and music modes, so one mode can be with a center speaker, the other without.

db
If they are not relevant then I need to check them out because somehow they manage to sell a lot of speakers. That's some trick!