Is it still worth buying a Lumin x1 in 2023?

Hello,

i currently have a Lumin D2 in my system, and i want to upgrade (I know ... typical audiophile problem :-) ).

My system is the following:

Speakers: Spendor sp100r2

Amp: Grandionote Shinai

Streamer: Lumin D2

Power isolation: Puritan PSM 156

Why do i want to upgrade?

I want "more of everything": more clarity, more details, more extension on both ends, better vocals, less digital sounding ... I like music, i don't want something too analytical. I want to be able to seat, enjoy and relax.

I've considering adding a DAC to my D2, but a local dealer told me that i should change my streamer and get a T3.

Initially i had this list of DAC in mind (5k price range):

• T+A DAC 200 
  • Gen. Grand DSDac 1.0 Deluxe
  • Sould note D2
  • Aqua La Scala

Then, looking around, i found a great deal on a demo Lumin X1 ... a bit more than my budget ... but i can stretch.

Now my question: I read a lot of very positive review on the X1, but i'm a little nervous because it is a 5y old device ... and it will be a big investment, quesiton:

• is it wise to go for a 5y old device
  • How long will i be able to enjoy it before services stop working on it?
  • Is it it better to get a new DAC and connect it to my D2 (and eventually upgrade to a more modern streamer later)?
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Will i get a better sound with the x1 compared to the D2 + a modern DAC in the 5k price range?

What do you all think?

best

T

128x128thibaultgeoui

Showing 4 responses by yyzsantabarbara

I just traded in my Lumin X1 for some speakers. However, I did this because I got a sonically better streamer, Playback Designs Streamer-IF, than the one on the X1 and I am looking for an FPGA DAC (Playback Designs).

The streamer on the X1 is excellent. I only did fibre optical. It was louder than the fibre streamer on the Sonore OpticalRendu. The oR seemed a bit more refined. The Streamer-IF was as loud as the X1 and as refined sounding as the oR. The steamer sound of the X1 was not worse just more on the "wild side". A chocolate vs vanilla type of thing.

The feature set on the X1 steamer is way better than the other 2 optical streamers I own. If I decide to stay long-term with my modded Peachtree GAN1 I will get the Lumin U2 (or U1) streamer for both streaming and the Leedh volume. I used this before and it was great. I need SPDIF steaming with volume into the GAN1.

The DAC on the X1 was the very best DAC I have owned, and I have taken a step back with my Benchmark DAC3B (not huge). The "DAC" in the GAN1 is maybe as good as the X1 (not apples-to-apples comparison). The plan is to spend a lot more on the Playback Designs DAC but I what I have now is rather amazing, so I am wondering why I should do this.

The rep from Lumin on Audioshark web site posted to me that the X1 will be the flagship for a while longer. Of course, if he said otherwise, people would wait. This was told to me about 3 months ago.

When it comes to DACs the term better is really subjective. The differences between similar designed DACs is not that great to my ears. Streamers on the other hand (especially optical) seemed to have a bigger difference to me.

The X1 at $6K is a great deal. I got mine for $7K and I thought that was well worth it for one of the very best streamers and an excellent DAC.

I see I have posted some comments here. Let me add one more.

I needed a DAC after I sold the X1. I could not wait until I had funds for the PlayBack Designs. I read up on the new Schitt Yggi+ (3 versions available). I decided to give the Less is More version a test drive ($2400).

To my surprise I think it is even better than the X1. I am using a Sonore Optical Rendu to stream. So that is an additional cost for me, but it is still cheaper than the X1.

I posted in the past that the X1 streaming vs Optical Rendu streaming sound different. Both are very good, with a slight preference by me for the Rendu.