Is a tube phono better than ss?

I love the sound of tubes but wonder if its the best route for vinyl playback?
52tiger
I agree with Mechans and Salectric. Moreover, this tubes v transistors argument is a never ending bore, because a good design can ameliorate the issues that separate the two types. And that's your answer: identify a phono stage that you like, first of all, regardless of how it works.
I have an all tube Icon Audio PS2 phono stage which I use with my Ortofon 2M blue cartridge (I think the PS2 could take full advantage of a better cartridge). I love the sound. Others may prefer solid state devices. I'm sure there are excellent examples of both.
Part of this will of course depend on quality circuit design and having very low noise tubes. But I think not enough emphasis has been put on what type of cart you are using. Issues with tube-related noise are going to be much more important if you are using a LOMC without a SUT. If you are using a SUT (don't have any experience with these so can't speak to pros/cons) you are likely to have less tube noise issues since the phono is amplifying a larger voltage signal. For LOMCs that are very low output, you either need an exceptional tube design, a SUT paired with a tube phono designed for MM-level input signals, or a SS design, which again has to be high quality with very LOMC designs but will usually result in a lower noise floor.

However, Atmasphere's comment above gives some interesting food for thought, and I find that he is someone whose advice is usually worth taking into account, even if you decide in the end that you have other priorities or preferences.

So, yup, like many things it comes down to personal preferences and system synergy. The hobby is one of trade-offs and trial-and-error. Forum opinions can be valuable, but always better to hear for yourself, preferably in your own system.