Intergrated Amp suggestions for B&W 805d4

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and to any music forum for that matter.  I have been reading a lot of threads here that I have been informative and helpful.

I am looking to match an intergrated amp with the new 805s, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

I have listened with the Naim Atom and Nova and personally, whilst  I liked the detail, I found it too forward and fatiguing.  With the Hegel 390, I found the bass rounder but top end more forward. With the Musical Fidelity M5si, I much preferred this sound as it was rounder and softer yet detailed but less detailed than the Naim.  (Apologies if I use the wrong audiophile terminology, I am unfamiliar with these terms but I am only using what I feel best fits with my discription of sound)

A few people have recommended the MA252 and MA 352 from McIntosh as they advised that this will soften the diamond tweeter and also bring warmth and extension to the bass.  Others have recommended tube amps like Prima Luna.

i have never owned or had any experience with tube amps.

Any suggestions, info or advice  for a good amp to match my speakers?

Thank you in advance.

ezikl

Showing 1 response by carlsbad

You mentioned tube amps.  Not sure if you meant that your aren't interested in tube amps or if you meant so say "don't recommend tube amps."  I'm a tube amp fan because they tend to be the most transparent bringing all the details most clearly to the listening chair.

Your speakers are not a good match for tube amps because of their low efficiency.  There are tube amps that put out enough power but the lower power tube amps seem to dance to the magic better.

I just bought an ss amp because all the reviews make it sound like a tube amp.  It was inexpensive so I bought one to listen to.  Haven't received it yet but you might want to consider the Kinki EX-M1+.

If you're trying to "soften" the speakers like ezikl suggested then I'm not sure a super transparent amp is what you're looking for.

Jerry