Interconnects for Pass Labs X260.8

What balanced interconnects are you using with your X260.8 or X350.8?

Looking to potentially move on from my Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper XLRs. While they worked wonderfully with lower power amps I had with their plump bass, including the XA30.8, I find them (suspicion at this point) to be too much of a good thing with the X260.8.
What ICs would have the same natural tone but have better clarity and faster bass?

Gear (in my profile as well):

Bricasti M3, Wilson Sabrina, Pass XP22 preamp, X260.8 amps, Audience AU24SX speaker cables. Amps plugged into outlet on a 20A dedicated circuit.

Thanks in advance!

128x128audphile1

Showing 16 responses by audphile1

@moto_man I’ll add the Shunyata to the list. Although I wasn’t in love with their Alpha V2 power cord. May be the interconnects are better. 
@duckmanst3 yes the AU24SX are on the list. 
@jjss49 thanks but hard to imagine these cables approach the resolution if the AZ Absolute Copper. I swapped the DAC to pre with AZ Silver Ref II and it toned down the heavy bottom end so may be you’re onto something with your silver recommendation. 

@moto_man mine are actually the original Sabrinas. But I don’t think that matters much. I might give the alpha v2 power cords another shot. These X260.8 amps are drastically different from the 30.8. They have full control of the speakers. And the bass now is much better than it was with the 30.8. I’m starting with the XLRs first. 
And yes, I’m tweaking the room acoustics to tune the room to these amps. It’s a process…

@moto_man when I tried the Alpha V2 it was on the XA30.8. It did something strange to the high frequencies that irritated me. I was planning on replacing the AQ Hurricane with it and kept the Hurricane. However, the AQ H didn’t work as well with the X260.8 with its big full sound so who knows…synergy is a strange beast.

I like the XP22. I upgraded from XP12 and was actually debating between Ref 5SE, Ref 6 or XP22. Couldn’t convince myself to go back to tubes yet. The 22 is quiet, dynamic and still remains very natural sounding. However, the Ref should be a great combo with Pass amp. I used Ref1 with X250.5 years ago and it was phenomenal. 

@soix yes…I don’t have the XLR shorting pins..my silvers are RCAs. So I’m only able to try them between dac and pre

@soix that price is not right. Anyway…thanks! 
I’ll get the pins from Pass this week and try the RCAs. 

Putting a list of candidates to borrow from the cable co. 

@ghdprentice I would like to believe my components are on a decent level. Every change in cables, components, speaker positioning and configuration of acoustic panels results in audible changes. I think this system reached a level where some of the colorations that were welcomed before to hide faults somewhere upstream or in a room are detrimental now as the effects just seem to prevent the components from shining.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions so far. You’ve inspired me to first work with what I have. I’m still planning to try different cables though but so far…
Here are some of the challenges I am up against…

1. Relatively small room

2. Amps that have full control of speakers that are capable of resolving minute details and are able to fully load the room.

I’ve made some progress and now achieved more focus and precision in the presentation. All I did was placed GIK Acoustics 244 panels on the side walls behind the speakers all the way up to the corner Tri Traps.
That gave me a bit of tighter bass removing some of the excess in bottom end. This also increased clarity. I then moved the speakers slightly closer together by increasing the distance to side walls by 1/4” for each speaker and that improved the resolution and focus even further. The toe in crosses the axis about a foot behind my head. The soundstage now is wider, I hear better details and the vocals are even more focused and pulled more into the room.
There’s probably still rom for more. improvement. Next step is to hang two GIK Acoustics 242 panels on the ceiling to further reduce the reflections and whatever bass waves that muddy up the presentation. Hopefully!

It’s pretty amazing how a change of amplifier can throw everything off balance! And it’s just moving up the Pass line. The X260.8 are so full sounding that it requires reconfiguring room acoustics and speaker placement. Live and learn!

@ghdprentice and @speedthrills I’d love to try Transparent cables. Doesn’t look like the cable co is a dealer though. I’ll call and ask. Once I get the room to gel with this system I’ll look into it.

@dinov thanks…adding Analysis Plus to the list. Planning to try Nordost Frey 2 and Tyr 2 as well. The Valhalla 2 is out of reach. 

@firstonetallguy good cables. I used them years ago but they don’t unlock the full potential of these components. When I upgraded to AZ the difference was not small. That was when I had X250.5 and Dynaudio speakers. That system was on a level or few below what I’m running currently. 

@benzman thanks! Will read up on Iconoclast. 

@tonywinga hey Tony. I was wondering when you will move up from those PAD Museaus interconnects. LOL. Yea the Wilsons are a clear lens into what’s going on upstream. Still experimenting with speaker and panel placement. Making small changes and evaluating. Moving speakers no more than an inch at a time. Listening for at least a few hours before judging the change.
Wilsons are extremely sensitive when it comes to placement.

A quick update -

I moved the speakers a bit more closer together about an inch total. That tightened up the bass, pulled the vocals a bit more into the room and the layering, depth, width and the focus of images in the soundstage went up a notch as well.
I have Audience F3 power cords on the X260.8 now that I purchased in the interim and all if these changes I’ve made resulted in a good improvement. Will continue working on it.
From the cables standpoint, planning to try Analysis Plus Silver Apex and Kimber KS1126 on loan from The Cable Co. Both sets are silver plated copper. Going to compare them to my Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper. Will post when I do some listening.

@zavato I’ve had Matrix. Great cables but they’re warmer than my Absolute Copper. 

@jeffreyw evaluating Tyr 1 and 2. They’re great! Kimber KS 1126 is a close second with a bit more meat around the bone but not quiet there with top end compared to Nordost.

Trying all these different cables, I have confirmed the Absolute Copper is not working as well in this system as they had in my previous setup. There’s just no synergy. I’ve selected my next interconnects. AZ cables are looking for their new home.