Installing dedicated 10 gauge lines

Everyone keeps saying how important it is to have a dedicated 10 gauge line from your breaker box to your amp (I have a Diablo 300), and a second one to your source components (primarily an InnuOS Zenith Mk 3 streamer/Roon core).

I would love to do this, but isn’t this a major expense, like $15k or more? Does all the drywall back to the breaker box need to be ripped out to install the new lines?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. If the answer to the above is yes and yes, this project definitely won’t get past my wife!

As an aside, on the same 15A circuit, I have my amp, streamer, a Mac Mini that is normally on, my TV, video game consoles, and a network switch. So, obviously not ideal but out of all of these the only things that are on while I’m listening to music, beyond my amp and streamer, are the Max Mini and the network switch which supplies network connections to my tv and game consoles.

Hoping installing the dedicated line installation somehow doesn’t require drywall ripping and replacement?

nyev

I have been planning a dedicated AC line for some time and it should be installed within a couple of weeks. At first, I thought of using the man as a consultant who did M.Fremmer’s which was a major fix including a new meter box, new incoming outside line and junction, two outside grounding poles, etc. Since code in my area doesn’t allow anything outside to be changed, I decided on a more basic rework of my inside line.

For that, I bought 50’ of Oyaide high end cable and two Oyaide outlets with heavy faceplates. Just this was $4500. And my electrician will be able to run the wiring through the attic for about $800. Waits to be seen if I will still need my top line Shunyata conditioner. It is recommended that the amps go into the wall outlet.

I will see if the preamp is better to the wall or to the conditioner.

My current AC for the system is on the same line as the fridge. I expect that the new line will bring the whole system up to a new level. More present? Hope so.

In an empty house we were moving to I had two outlets, of 4 plugs each, installed of 20 amp wire. The room had a common wall with the garage, and the wire went to a breaker box in the garage far wall. So the wire only ran to the ceiling and down a wall to access the room at the floorboard. 

It cost me $400, but this was in 2010. And I hired an unemployed electrician who did the work. So it was a win/win. Hardly near $15k. 

Did exactly this in 2 houses.  Two different electricians ran dual 10 gauge from the box to dual quads so I could separate tube/SS for ground loops or noisy power supplies.  Less than $800 both times without any holes in the sheet rock other than cutouts for outlets.  An electrician should be able to notch the sheetrock to jump over a stud if necessary, which is easy to patch. As for 10g vs 12g…while you are in there it isn’t much more expensive on a short run, and it isn’t going to sound worse.