Inexpensive streaming amplifier

My daughter, (not an audiophile), just moved into a small apartment in Brooklyn, and we want to buy her a streaming amp to connect to apple music, and her TV for movies.  She already has a pair of (hand me down from my son) Wharfdale 10.1 (small bookshelf) speakers to sit on either side of the TV.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

kb54

+1 for the idea of a sub-$1000 AVR that has streaming capabilities (i.e. Airplay for Apple Music). Having a few HDMI inputs would allow for growth (Blu-ray, Gaming console, Firestick, Apple TV, etc.) Even better with eArc for the TV. Heck, she might even enjoy local FM radio LOL. NYC has some great stations in various genres, and they are free.  Not a knock against the Bluesound Powernode, but as you stated, she's not an audiophile.  View her use cases through her eyes, not yours.

@jbuhl ​​​ as @carlsbad2 said, in NYC, a dinner cost a $1000, so around that? Add desert and a glass of wine, and you are Parasound territory.

I would recommend for a budget streaming system a wiim pro and a Allo volt+D

It looks like a science project but if you have a upgraded power supply it will punch well above the price point. I think the power supply is 19v not the one that is recommended by Allo . It is available in many places for @$129 plus @$25 for the power supply. 

@grislybutter  I guess that could calibrate the budget.  I know I went down to Sunday Vinyl in Denver the other day and sat in front of a $200K Mcintosh Sonus Faber rig and dinner for 2 was only ~$200.  Maybe I should get a cheaper amp :) for my house.

My young daughter just moved into an apt too.  She went with an "open box" Powernode ($750 with factory warranty) to drive her KEF LS50s.  She's VERY happy with her setup.  

Since it's for a girl, go with an all in one solution, smaller footprint, and it will power everything on when she points music at it with her phone.  Little known feature about the Node is the presets on the top of the box.  For example, touch one of the presets and it will power up and play her favorite XM channel at the volume level last used.

The Powenode has a Sub output that can be used for a future upgrade.  ;D  Cheers