If Steely Dan had a different vocalist

they'd be Monkey House.

I cannot believe I'd not heard of this band until discovering them just today.

If you like Dan (and who doesn't, really!) and haven't heard of MH, check them out.

128x128audiodwebe

Nice find; listening to their Friday album. I definitely hear strong Steely Dan influence, but not early SD more like 2000s Two Against Nature SD or Gaucho album. Slick and jazzy rock with cool lyrics. Songs play like a cover of "Gaslighting Annie," a Sunday afternoon listen. Almost Michael Franks or Al Jarreau like jazzy vocals.

So this is an LA / Toronto based band that's been around for 13 years? My take is very tight musicians showing off their studio maturity.

Vetsc5, thanks for sharing your story.  Cool to hear stuff like this.

8th-note, 8 will definitely check out China Crisis.  Thanks.

mrfrito, thanks for the invite.

I was listening to one of their albums driving into work this morning and I could almost hear, in my mind, Donald Fagen singing many of the songs. Clearly influenced by SD, for sure.

@baylinor 

"It's funny to hear Steely Dan and avant-garde in the same sentence."

Why?

When "Can't Buy a Thrill" came out, there was like nothing it and they continued to produce a unique blend of jazz, rock and funk until they disbanded.

Monkey House make pretty good music, but it is based around the song catalogue of another band. That is not a positive.

I have been hooked on SD since 1972, when Can't Buy a Thrill was released and have all of their catalog. Amazingly, I just bought CBAT as a used CD on e-bay, so their first album was the last added to my collection. They were without a doubt one of the most consistent producers of envelope-pushing music, with lyrics that painted sometimes outlandish pictures (like guys jumping off of buildings in Black Friday). I will definitely have to check out Monkey House, but no one will ever replace Steely Dan.