If A.I. took the place of musicians, would you listen to it?

A few questions which I'm curious about. If you have a take on this, please share!

Here's the question:

A.I. is increasingly playing a role in music creation. Not just assisting composers, but generating music.

If you found an A.I. generated song to be enjoyable, interesting, etc. would you have any objection to supporting it by listening and paying for the service which provides it?

If more and more music was like this, and there were fewer and fewer jobs for musicians, would that bother you? -- I'm thinking here about the aesthetics of the issue, not the economics or justice of it. 

I'm trying to understand if people just want to have a certain set of sensations from music and they don't care if there are human beings creating it -- or if it's important for you to know that what you're experiencing from music (or art) is coming from human beings.

Thank you for thinking about this.

128x128hilde45

Simple question… If you heard a song on the radio, and you really liked it, and then you found out it was AI, would you stop liking it? Would you no longer listen to it?

Cooper52, your comment about the "uncanny valley effect" is, I think, much to my point. AI music will sound like music, but something might reveal itself to be "not quite right."

Thanks for your comment.

Music, for me, is about the human connection.  I don't appreciate it as a product.  If I can't relate to the musician struggling with their instrument or find an emotional connection with the composer I quickly become disinterested.

Most (not all) modern pop "music" bores me, mostly because it seems artificially produced. Quantizers, beat machines, pitch correction and the lack of performance errors sucks the life out of any performance.

Composition, on the other hand, is one area AI can make contributions.  It will be interesting to hear what AI can come up with.  I can be impressed by looking at the elegance of a Bach fugue, but it isn't until I hear it performed that it can move me to tears. I think it will always take a human to do that.

Well it's going to take over completely some day.Our grandkids will say I remember when a real human being played music,no way...lol

Music, for me, is about the human connection.  I don't appreciate it as a product.  If I can't relate to the musician struggling with their instrument or find an emotional connection with the composer I quickly become disinterested.

I agree. I don't appreciate the "product" of the sentences my friends say to me. I appreciate them. Same with art -- there is someone who matters making it, and that connection is essential.

Those who simply pronounce "It's coming and we can't stop it" have resigned themselves to an inhumane future. A pessimistic defeatism I cannot get on board with. (Plus, they have no evidence. And yet, they pronounce. Sad.)