I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog
Post removed 

I'm a "fossil unit" compared to many on the forum.  74 trips around the sun for this one.  As a younger listener, when we used to light up the Borkum Riff and strap ourselves down in the "sweet spot" to make sure our heads didn't bobble more than a couple of millimeters, Classical. With a little Beatles, Moody Blues, LZ, Floyd,, Who, etc. thrown in. And, a sampling of various Stones and Joni tunes.  I have to admit that I never felt the compulsion to place the stylus at the very beginning and listen to a complete Stones and/or Joni album from start to finish.  It was just me, being me.

Fast forward a few decades.  Strapped myself into the "sweet spot" with something a little more domestically friendly in hand (wine) and listened to Exile and Blue from start to finish.  Was waiting for that subtle hint from above that reminded me that I was a mere Neadertweak and what I had been missing for all these years...

.. I'm with the OP on this one.

Borkum Riff??!

Sound like something Mr. Spock would say;

"Captain, we are now entering the Borkum Riff..."