I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog

Music is an art form. We all like different things which can change over time as well.. As most understand here as well, this also can apply to the sound systems that reproduce the music. 

Talking about Tool's Maynard, next Saturday I'm going to see him in Houston for the Sessenta concert. It celebrates his 60th birthday and he will sing with 3 bands, Primus, A Perdect Circle and Puscifer. How great is that! I'm turning 70 this year but can still rock with the best.

Musicians rating LPs is very much like film critics rating movies?  They often relate to things on a different level than the general public.  Just go to Rotten Tomatoes and see how often the "Critics" will rate a film 90 - 100 and the general public gives the same film a score of 50 or below.  Not being a musician, JM's Blue didn't influence me whereas Musicians......  Just a thought.