I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog

@jastralfu Of course there’s nothing wrong with enjoying the (clearly different from a male’s) sound of a female voice.
Of course everything you say is true, but none of it addresses what I said or what the actual issue is.
I’ve never once heard someone say, “I love male artists.”
I’ve never once heard Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen or Bruce Springsteen (or whomever - just a few ex.) referred to a “a male artist.”
They’re referred to as “artists.”
Yet Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Lana Del Rey (or whomever - just a few ex.) are so very often referred to not as “artists,” but “female artists,” as though an actual artistic distinction need be made.
It’s just dumb and sexist.
They’re all artists, some are better than others, some people like some more than others.

This ain’t athletics where there are many scientifically proven facts that point to irrefutable differences in muscle mass, strength, leaping ability, etc. between males and females.
Artistically and creatively, we’re all on a completely level playing field.

To quote Kurt Cobain, sorry to be so anally PC, but that’s the way I feel.

I’ve never once heard someone say, “I love male artists.”

And since The Bill O'Reilly of Audiogon has never heard anyone say it, that automatically means that it has never been said.

Wow! So I just found out that stating a preference is sexist. Full disclosure, I love female vocalists. Generally, more than male. Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Eva Cassidy or Jennifer Warnes have the ability to tug at my soul far more than any male vocalists. Don't get me wrong, I like all.

As for a preference, who knows what's at play. I grew up in the 50's and 60's listening to classical music at home and rock when I could. Peter, Paul and Mary rocked my soul back then and inspired me to become a fairly proficient guitar player. That said, I never really got the Beatles or Stones. Why? beats me.

@tylermunns i hear what you’re saying I just don’t think it applies here.  OP is not being sexist.  Saying that you like female vocalists is not in the same context as your examples.  It’s perfectly valid to say I like vocalists, particularly female vocalists.  I often think in terms of male vs female vocalists and often lean toward female voices.  Disagree that we are all on a level playing field artistically or creatively, but being male or female is not a differentiating factor.  However, it might be a factor in what someone likes.