I am interested to update my 15 year old system !

Hi everyone,    I have recently started following these discussions and find them very helpful.  Thanks to everyone who contributes !

I built my audio system about 15 years ago, and moved overseas in 2013.  I packed my system in boxes and put it into a climate controlled storage facility.  I expected to be overseas for 2-3 years, but ended up being away for 9 years !  I came back last year, and having been using my system now for a year, I have decided to make some changes.  I am in serious need and would appreciate very much some advice and input.   It seems now after 10 years, there are far fewer audiophile "stores" to visit for advice, and of course things have changed a lot !

My Old System:

I was only into digital at the time, and of course quality streaming was in its infancy.  So what I did was record about 1,000 CD's onto a dedicated Macbook, and sourced the music from there.   Music was stored in Apple lossless format (full CD resolution) and I could bypass the Mac sound card  directly to a DAC (which you could not do at the time on a pc).   I played the digital stream through:

Musical Fidelity X-Dac v8,   into

Levinson 383 integrated amp, into

Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home floorstanding speakers

Speaker cables were Transparent Music Wave Super

Everything was powered by a PS Audio original Powerplant

Current situation:

The PS Audio unit did not work when I set up the system.  Apparently the capacitors dried out.  PS Audio said they could not get the exact replacement parts and would not fix it.  I tried to get it fixed locally with charts and schematics from PS Audio.  The local electronics service place I went to could not get it working.  I threw it out.   I am now powering from a wall outlet !      I need to get something, and would prefer a power regenerator, to a conditioner - but I am extremely upset with the lack of service from PS Audio and dont feel good about buying from them again.   I have seen many, many complaints about this and PS Audio lack of service.  Suggestions welcome.

I purchased a Blue Node streamer, and using Qobuz, greatly simplifying my streaming.

My DAC - its more than 10 years old but the shop where I bought the Blue Node said to keep it as the tech has not necessarily improved greatly.  I dont know if this is an accurate statement, but I always did like the DAC and still do.  Dont feel a need now to change it, but interested in any views on this.

The Levinson - still runs great.  If I change it, it will be the last thing to change.

I am planning to also go analog and thinking to buy a Planar 3, using either a Planar phono stage, or maybe a tube preamp (Vince 701?).   Any thoughts on TT and phono stage ?   

Speakers - still sound good, but thinking to change as I have been intrigued by Zu Soul speakers.  Not sure about this.

Speaker cables - a friend told me to change out of the Transparents no matter what I do.  Is there some negative view on these in the market now ?

Current Objective:

I listen to alot of vocalists like Sinatra, Krall, etc. and also jazz, blues, etc.   I am not looking for high volume.  In fact, I feel my Sonus Fabers sound fabulous at higher volume, but at lower volume do not sound as good.  When I say low volume - I dont necessarily mean background music, but not so loud that you cant speak to someone else in the room !

There is alot here and I do not expect anyone to answer all questions !   If you have a view on just the speakers, or on the turntable phono stage - just your views on any one item would be very welcome !  Hopefully, I will get some input on everything - but it doesnt all have to be from one person !

Many thanks in advance to everyone for reading this far down !

Mark

markny2011

@markny2011 At the beginning of the pandemic I decided I would “upgrade “ my 20 year old system. Forty thousand dollars later all the 20 year old components are in the garage in boxs. Its been explained to me by management that my “ upgrades “ are complete now or I might be looking to upgrade my 25 year old marriage. My advice, be careful its a slippery slope. Btw, new system is just fantastic,we’ve made a lot of progress in the last 20 years in audio.

Thanks BikeBoy !    No real replies this far but appreciate your comment !  Looks like I will have to figure it out on my own.  Perhaps I threw too many questions and issues into a single post.  
   Are you into cycling ?    Cycling and my boat are also money pits !!

i dont believe ps audio still marketing  mumbo jumbo stuff on youtube while a lot of custumer not served well

I am 98% vinyl/analog.  That being said, if you’re starting from scratch vinyl is a money pit.  If I had to start over again, I’d do it all over, but honestly, that’s probably not the smartest idea.  P3 is a nice TT with lots of upgrade options but based on the rest of your equipment is probably not an end game table.  Whatever TT you settle on, IMHO the cartridge makes or breaks it.  Personally, go with the best Hana  or Soundsmith you can justify/afford.  When looking at Soundsmith, keep the retipping cost in mind, that’s a huge bonus with Soundsmith.

Power, bite the bullet and go with PS Audio.  Their regenerators are fabulous, dead silent background.  I use two, a 5 and a 12, and can’t imagine my system without them.

Since your music leans towards vocals, consider Harbeths.  Budget and room size will guide you as to which ones.  I have SHL5+XDs and in addition to being beyond amazing for vocals, they also sound amazing at any volume.  I have no tone controls of any kind and even late night low volume listening is magical with them, no subwoofer required.

Anyhoo… just my $0.02.

The older SF speakers were voiced much warmer and darker than their latest models. I would encourage you to listen to their new lines.

Add Harbeth to your list as well. +1 on that recommendation above. 
Newer DACs will help with lower level listening as well as they’re more resolving and transparent than your 20 year old DAC. Depending on what speakers you like, select your amplifier. If you go the integrated route, there are options with built in DAC and or phono stage. The Rega table is fine but offers no VTA adjustment so you’re limited on cartridge choices unless you use optional spacers. 

Fun journey! Enjoy!!!