I am interested to update my 15 year old system !

Hi everyone,    I have recently started following these discussions and find them very helpful.  Thanks to everyone who contributes !

I built my audio system about 15 years ago, and moved overseas in 2013.  I packed my system in boxes and put it into a climate controlled storage facility.  I expected to be overseas for 2-3 years, but ended up being away for 9 years !  I came back last year, and having been using my system now for a year, I have decided to make some changes.  I am in serious need and would appreciate very much some advice and input.   It seems now after 10 years, there are far fewer audiophile "stores" to visit for advice, and of course things have changed a lot !

My Old System:

I was only into digital at the time, and of course quality streaming was in its infancy.  So what I did was record about 1,000 CD's onto a dedicated Macbook, and sourced the music from there.   Music was stored in Apple lossless format (full CD resolution) and I could bypass the Mac sound card  directly to a DAC (which you could not do at the time on a pc).   I played the digital stream through:

Musical Fidelity X-Dac v8,   into

Levinson 383 integrated amp, into

Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home floorstanding speakers

Speaker cables were Transparent Music Wave Super

Everything was powered by a PS Audio original Powerplant

Current situation:

The PS Audio unit did not work when I set up the system.  Apparently the capacitors dried out.  PS Audio said they could not get the exact replacement parts and would not fix it.  I tried to get it fixed locally with charts and schematics from PS Audio.  The local electronics service place I went to could not get it working.  I threw it out.   I am now powering from a wall outlet !      I need to get something, and would prefer a power regenerator, to a conditioner - but I am extremely upset with the lack of service from PS Audio and dont feel good about buying from them again.   I have seen many, many complaints about this and PS Audio lack of service.  Suggestions welcome.

I purchased a Blue Node streamer, and using Qobuz, greatly simplifying my streaming.

My DAC - its more than 10 years old but the shop where I bought the Blue Node said to keep it as the tech has not necessarily improved greatly.  I dont know if this is an accurate statement, but I always did like the DAC and still do.  Dont feel a need now to change it, but interested in any views on this.

The Levinson - still runs great.  If I change it, it will be the last thing to change.

I am planning to also go analog and thinking to buy a Planar 3, using either a Planar phono stage, or maybe a tube preamp (Vince 701?).   Any thoughts on TT and phono stage ?   

Speakers - still sound good, but thinking to change as I have been intrigued by Zu Soul speakers.  Not sure about this.

Speaker cables - a friend told me to change out of the Transparents no matter what I do.  Is there some negative view on these in the market now ?

Current Objective:

I listen to alot of vocalists like Sinatra, Krall, etc. and also jazz, blues, etc.   I am not looking for high volume.  In fact, I feel my Sonus Fabers sound fabulous at higher volume, but at lower volume do not sound as good.  When I say low volume - I dont necessarily mean background music, but not so loud that you cant speak to someone else in the room !

There is alot here and I do not expect anyone to answer all questions !   If you have a view on just the speakers, or on the turntable phono stage - just your views on any one item would be very welcome !  Hopefully, I will get some input on everything - but it doesnt all have to be from one person !

Many thanks in advance to everyone for reading this far down !

Mark

markny2011

Showing 12 responses by markny2011

Thanks BikeBoy !    No real replies this far but appreciate your comment !  Looks like I will have to figure it out on my own.  Perhaps I threw too many questions and issues into a single post.  
   Are you into cycling ?    Cycling and my boat are also money pits !!

Thank you all for the very valuable input thus far !    I am out for the day - but will send my initial thoughts after this feedback tonight !   Thank you again !

Hi Everyone, Thanks so much for the input thus far ... it has already had a big impact on my thinking. I felt a bit overwhelmed with all the choices I had to make, and this has already put me into a prioritized direction.

I will put off the expansion into vinyl for now. It seems from all those with good experience in vinyl that it is a long journey, and expensive ! I have no vinyl now, so it means a focus not just on equipment, but building up a collection of vinyl - which seems like its own full time job getting this right. So I will deal with my digital upgrades first.

I will start auditioning speakers to the best that I can. I was still intrigued with Zu from what I have read, and the suggestions above on Harbeth seem very good based upon my research into the brand just now. There is a dealer not far from me who handles Audio Note, which also seems to be a solid choice.

A QUESTION ABOUT STREAMING ... If I am now streaming from Qobuz through the Bluesound Node, should I expect that source to be as good as the Apple lossless files on my Mac? If they are both high res digital bits coming in to my DAC, is there a reason they should sound different - one better than another ?

Also - why would a high end streamer sound better than a Bluesound Node ? Again - if 2 different streamers are pulling a digital stream from Qobuz - and both are feeding the same DAC - would the streamer affect the sound ?

PMM SUGGESTED GETTING MY LEVINSON CHECKED BY A TECH. As long as it is playing well, what could be needed if it hasnt been used for several years.

And finally - the power regenerator replacement I will also make a lower priority as I focus on the speakers and digital source. I will also try to get some ideas on cables - but obviously - that comes after a speaker change !

Thank you all - and would still appreciate any input based upon my comments here and what I suppose will now be my first priority of looking into speakers, and whether the Bluesound Node (although new) should be replaced with something better.

Really appreciate all the help !

A follow-up to Audphile1 about streaming equipment.  I had questioned what a better streamer does.

Right now I use the Bluesound to get music from Qobuz.  I then bypass their DAC and go to my DAC (Musical Fidelity), which then feeds the amp.

The digital stream is digital bits (1's and zero's).  The 1's and 0's come from Qobuz and go to my DAC for processing.  Assuming I continue to use my own DAC, what difference does it make which streamer you are using?  It is just a pass through for 1's and 0's, and I dont think it is processing anything in anyway.    Maybe I am wrong ?  If so, could someone please explain.  Thanks!   

PS - I had considered buying a NAIM Unity for $3,000+.  Does that do anything better than the Bluesound ?

Audphile1 ...   Thanks for your reply.  Maybe I wasnt clear in my question...

Of course I believe there is great importance, and also variability in DAC's.  They are not the same, and they range from cheap, to extremely expensive, and they perform accordingly.   Your phone basically has a cheap DAC built in because it has to change the digital connection to analogue music that you can hear.

My question is about getting the 1s and 0s to the DAC - to be processed to analogue music.   I need a streamer to pull the music from Qobuz (or any other digital streaming source).  My DAC does not interface with Qobuz.  My DAC just takes 1s and 0s and processes them.

Therefore - I need an intermediary "box" to pull the 1s and 0s from the internet, and pass it to the DAC.  (I bypass the DAC in the Bluesound, which I have heard is not that good).   So the Bluesound just grabs the 1s and 0s, based upon instructions on what to get, and then passes the 1s and 0s to the DAC.    It does nothing more than retrieve digital bits, and passes them on to the DAC.

So my question is, if I am not using a streamer to process in any way - it just hands off 1s and 0s - then what difference would there be with an expensive streamer handing off the bits, or the bluesound handing off the bits.

I hope I am making myself clear.  Thank you !

Audphile1,

Thanks for the reply !

I suggest you also educate yourself !    I dont think you can answer the simple question - which is fine - but if you cant answer a question, perhaps just say so, instead of shooting out an arrogant reply demonstrating your lack of knowledge.

Just a suggestion.  No malice intended.  Hope you have a good day ahead !

Thank you to everyone for the added comments in the last 2 days.  For one thing - I clearly have learned and accept the good advice that I cant do this all at once !

The least important change I believe is my amp.  While I may decide to change in the future to a tube amp - I cant argue that the Levinson is probably excellent for anything else I do now.

Based upon the suggestions - I have started to listen to some speakers.  I found a place to go hear Audio Note (E's and J's) and listened to them with an OTO amp.  It was fabulous.   I will try to hear some other speakers, including Harbeth.

To my surprise, I thought there would be a great deal of comparison blogs between these 2 speakers - but I have only seen 1 or 2.   Even from the writings, I dont have a feel for what users feel are the differences.  I a also a bit intrigues by the Soul 6 by Zu.  The reports are all faboulous.  The physical size for me is excellent, and the price is right around my budget (6k) (which is also where I can get a solid pair of AN or Harbeth)

For now I am relatively new to streaming - so I will keep the Bluesound - but it sounds like a better streamer will help - but I also think that can wait until after I finalize the speaker choice.

Thank you all again for your invaluable help !   Any thoughts on my speaker comments above will be of course welcome !

Thank you again.   The latest 2 contributions were very valuable.   I loved the Audio note speakers I tested.  And I have heard some mixed comments about Harbeth - but there are certainly people out there who love them. 

I will also look into trying a different set of cables to see if they make they improvement I am looking for at low volume.  

any cable suggestions for running a Levinson integrated into Sonus Faber Home speakers.   

thank you !!!

Thanks Peter - I was not aware there was a problem with lossless recording !   I will check it.   I do have the Bluesound wired directly into my router with a good digital cable.  Have not compared other cables, but it seems fine.   I think all the finetuning will start after I change speakers !   Thanks so much for your input !  Different comments than many of the others.

Thank you OP for the positive comments on Vinyl !   I will get there but cant do everything at once.   I agree with you that there are many options out there to purchase reasonable priced vinyl !