How you know your system is improving?

Fellow Audio Junkies - 

Over the last few years, I've invested in my first high end system. It's been a far costlier affair than I'd initially conceived. I started off simply wanting to listen to music in my home. At this stage of my life, I was fortunate to have some resources to invest which led me down the path of reading forums and reviews, while also having the opportunity to visit a few audio stores to demo equipment.

And down the rabbit hole I went... Once I realized all the nuances of equipment and their impact on the listening experience, I became fascinated with creating the most satisfying musical experience in my house. I ended up purchasing several amps, three sets of speakers, NOS power tubes, and a myriad combination of power cords.

With each investment, I would often remark to myself "yes - I hear an improvement..." But sometimes a doubt would cross my mind. Is this some sort of confirmation bias I've got going? Am I just throwing money away? Do I need to see a shrink? 

Admittedly, I was largely convinced things were improving, but a small part of my brain recognized I might be have been chasing windmills... 

Which brings me to this question: "How do you know your system is improving after you've made a system change or hopeful upgrade?" 

For me, a moment came last night when I put on a piece of music - Beth Orton - and played a track that a year ago sounded muddy or poorly recorded. There have been several system changes since I last played that Beth Orton track. As I began streaming over Quboz, I could hear details in the music which had been previously fuzzy and hidden. The tone of her voice was more real. Guitar strings came out of the fog... 

I guess the concept I often read about here, "using a test track" had become my new litmus test on whether my system was improving. It was inadvertent, but I think I'll default to this approach more consistently moving forward, going back to a few tracks that have proven to be challenging with the current system and giving them a go when a new component gets added. 

Yes, I know... nothing radical here. But would welcome how many of you benchmark improvements in your own systems! 

128x128bluethinker

For those looking for improvements and a frugal way  to make the “ investment “ consider a used copy of Jim Smith’s book on getting better sound ( and enjoyment ).

You didnot mentin the cost.

In Audio this rabbit hole never ends !

If streaming that is the biggest weakness in most 

Audio systems an absolute since digital noise travels

House to house ,from your modem router combo

A LPS power supply a Must, thst $5 wall wart adds to the noise 

Linear tube audio ,on audiogon  make a Great lps

Thats a good start then good ethernet cables  

Upgraded ethernet hub and decent power cords.

Two guidelines have served me well over the years - both are good indicators that my system is improving: 1) I find myself turning up the volume.  Generally, as distortion goes down, I’ll be inclined to listen at louder levels.  When I turn down the volume, I’m more likely to be objecting to some artifact of distortion rather than decibels.  2) I find myself watching less TV.

I SAID:

I’m trying to follow, so is this what you said, basically? (I tried to rephrase it.)

Then I put in an extensive rephrasing.

Does anyone see how I'm trying to understand Mahgister? Is that so unclear?

But instead Mahgister says:

Since more than 1 year nothing will do...😁
I even apologized for my bad english many times... In private and in few threads...I think that he was wise and interesting person for discussion.. I dont think that anymore.....
He is coming back more arrogant each time...

QUESTION: What is arrogant about asking someone if I am understanding them? That is sympathetic and kind, in my world.

Instead, we get a triggered response from Mahgister. Take a deep breath and try to see sympathy when it comes your way.

Are you serious ?

How am i supposed to take the "correction" without any warning thats it is there only to help me, since for more than a year you mocked me or my posts , never giving any counter argument to my posts for the sake of good faith discussion as i already asked you for many times even after apologizing to you for my clumsy syntax?

Now suddenly after more than one year of harassment i must take your last "correction" truncating my post and without any word of explanation as a good faith gesture?😋

( the last harassments about my posts concerning an acoustic revolution just days before your unasked for "correction" are not cold yet by the way in the thread about "sound experience is a mystical facts")

Any person of good faith explain himself BEFORE correcting someone else or during the process of doing so, especially after mocking him few times just days before.. 😊

It is not what you did poor dude...

You bait me knowing perfectly well that i will react as i did ...😁

You are an hypocrit for me .... Prove me otherwise and i will do what i did in the past about my clumsy syntax i will apologize...

Your  now public show of good faith and protestation  was intended for the other posters here not for me ...😊

After one year of your "good faith" , i am no more interested to you as a thinker...

Do what you do as one of the "best corrector in the world" correct syntax...😊

QUESTION: What is arrogant about asking someone if I am understanding them?

And dont lie in front of others they are not idiots:

Putting a corrected truncated new post as a better version of the post of someone WITHOUT EXPLANATION after one year of harassment about this one person posts is not good faith question... You never ask me a question poor dude...

Go back in your hole !

By the way i dont entertain grudges but i cannot stand hypocrital person...

Sorry ...

it goes with one of my human defect i am spontaneous in my reactions...

i apologize to all for that as well for my clumsy syntax...