HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SYSTEM IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS

I am serious.  I work VERY hard to have the best system I can.  I have made many upgrades and am more than happy with my equipment.  I stream 100% of the time, mostly form Qobuz.  My digital front end is highly optimized.  But when I want my system to sound AMAZING?

I play Mark Knopfler or my favorite  Dire Straits.  Seriously.  It is recorded so exceptionally  well, and seems to have harmonics which just please the ear and soul.  I often think it sounds a bit 'tube like', as my system is all solid state.  There are just no offending sounds, and never sibilance.  I could list songs, but it would be easier to just list the one not to play ('Money for Nothing').

fastfreight

+1 for 'Private Investigations' and 'Tin Pan Alley'.

My goodness, do they sound good.

FF:  There is nothing to argue re: your statement that some groups (and their instrumentation, production, recording engineering, ad. inf.) sound better to you on a good system (also hard to simplify the variables here) than other above above referenced qualities.  Mark Knopfler knows how to hit you in the right places.

Strictly as a background note which may please you, Douglas Adams (alas, gone too soon at forty-nine) loved Dire Straits and mentions the fact in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (also, HIGHLY recommended).  His other big favorite was Gary Brooker and Keith Reid as Procol Harum--my personal high IQ rock legends.  Try "Salty Dog" from 1968,  Best Fishes, HC, English Lit and Physics Lab teacher, retired.

Thanks hcow!  I do enjoy Salty Dog!  So much good stuff I agree with everyone (except maybe the Peter Cetera thing) :)   I just keep finding songs I like and adding them to my playlist.  I have about a thousand I shuffle through, and often stop and investigate the wnole album or albums from there.  Roon i squite good a selecting songs one might like based on their selections..better than most software I have sampled.

To thos who say they have heard it a thousand times, I challenge their listening habits not mine.  I just pointed out what sounds good.

I love the phrase 'hits you in all the right places' so true.   I would say all the music i truly love does that. or at least hits someplace with exceptional emotion. Example for me Genesis 'The Lamia" and most of the second side of that album.  But this does not sound great on every system.   For me it was also a standard evaluator for that reason.