How to divide up your budget in building a 2-Channel HiFi system

I have just begun my HiFi journey over the last few months and already thinking about what is next. I’m curious to hear from those with much more experience than I where the best place to focus your budget is. I’ve heard many say you should spend the majority of your budget on speakers and then buy the best you can for the components with what is left over but your obviously not getting the most out of your speakers if you spend 80% on them and the remaining 20% on everything else. I would think the reverse to be true as well....no sense in spending your budget on components if you don’t have good enough speakers to reveal the difference. As a fun exercise and assuming you had a $20k budget how would you break that up in building your system? Goal would be to optimize realism and expanded sound stage.

Amps:
Preamp:
DAC:
Speakers:
Streamer:
Cables:

Current system: Vandersteen 2ce ii Signatures, mono-bloc Schiit Vidar Amps, Schiit Freya + Preamp, Audio Mirror Tubradour III DAC, Node 2i as streamer.
mvrooman1526
Mv, I think it depends on the way you plan on approaching this endeavor.

Exactly. The budgeting I just did is for "one and done". Inevitably everyone winds up somewhere down the line wanting more. The smart thing is to see this coming early on. Then if you find something you really love, or come across a killer deal, or anything that seems worth the stretch long term, then of course you can go for that and consider it an "anchor" or Grail piece. But that is Budgeting 201. I thought we were doing Budgeting 101 for fun.
Everything I've learned in four rules:

1.  Buy used if you're not sure. Mistakes are more forgiving.
2.  Buy quality analogue; it will last a very long time.  
3.  Don't overspend on digital; it will become outdated quickly.
4.  Admire, but don't covet thy neighbor's toys.

Cheers!

Go listen to several systems. Get to know yourself regarding listening preferences.Get to know how components play into your room.  I believe your current system retailed at ~$6500-$7000. Given that, yes you could achieve a significant improvement at $20,000. 

I believe your Tubadour DAC would be at home in a $20,000 system. Have it upgraded to the SE model, if not already there.  Explore speaker/amplifier combinations.