How much power needed for B&W 683?

Hello,

I am putting together a system for a friend and picked up some used B&W 683 (S1) loudspeakers. Likely going for a Cambridge Audio CXN for the source component, but am having trouble picking out amplification. I would like to keep the system as simple as possible. Integrated with a pre out would be ideal, as a sub may need to be added to the system later, but I am also open to the idea of getting a straight power amplifier. (No preamp will really be needed as the CXN has a digital volume control and no analog sources will be used) Don’t want to spend more than $1000 used on this. Units I am currently considering are:

NAD C 375BEE (Integrated, 150wpc, feel like this not enough power)
Anthem 225 (Integrated, 225wpc)
Emotiva XPA-2 (Straight power amp, 300WPC)

I’m most set on the Anthem 225, but am open to ideas. Will 225 watts be enough power for these speakers to get the most out of the bass drivers? While it won’t be their main use, the speakers will often be used at pretty loud levels during parties and such.

nemesis1218
As the owner of B&Ws for 15 years, I can tell you that they are power hungry, and love clean, solid state watts. Tube power amps make them sound flabby, in my experience. I would recommend no less than 150 wpc to get the best out of them.
The B&W 683 is rated at a maximum of 200w. Some above that shouldn't be a problem, however, I don't think a great amount more is wise. Looks like the Anthem 225 may be ideal.

I have the 683 S2 and demoed them with an Anthem 225 and it was excellent.

I also think the NAD C375BEE would sound very good too. I've used the NAD C320BEE on my 683s and sounded good up to about the low 80dbs in my large room.

In my experience the 683s really need some power behind them to open up to their full potential as you start hitting the upper 80dbs and beyond.

I enjoy my 683s very much with my 50 watt Arcam at lower levels but in the near future I will be adding an amp that puts out between 250 and 350 watts. 

I believe the Anthem 225 is an excellent choice with the 683 S1. Your friend will thank you because they will really get to hear and appreciate what those speakers can do.

Cheers,

Scott
To get the very best from these.
You will need an amp the can deliver good current down to 2ohms with this sort of impedance and -phase angle in the lower regions. Think Krell type amps with bi-polar (BJT) output stages, not mosfet or tube.

http://www.stereophile.com/images/915B683fig1.jpg

Cheers George