How much am I missing with SL1200 mk2?

Hi everybody,

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day Weekend.

My system is:

Anthem 225i (using phono pre in rec)
Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player
Usher CP 6311 speakers
Clean SL mk2 with AT cartridge 120e

How much am I missing with my SL opposed to a $1000-$1500 including cartridge more modern setup like Rega RP3, entry Clearaudio, VPI, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the current setup but have been told I am giving up a lot with the SL.

Your opinions are appreciated, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
uncledemp

Showing 5 responses by czarivey

I had various SL1200's and I had Rega P3(not RP3).
I'm sure that RP3 is just different name, but everything else is same as P3.
I decided to give it a try to have a dedicated turntable for home stereo while using my 4x SL1200 for DJ and club applications only.
After introducing Rega P3, I realized I'm loosing exceptional speed stability and low noise floor of quartz direct drive motor along with clarity and precision. You're also loosing on-flight VTA adjustment and forced to use spacers instead(I could never get it right with P3!).
After realizing I've lost too many things I loved about SL1200 without gaining much improvement on sound, I traded my RP3 for Michel Gyro SE... Other choices I looked was Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck and Basis Debut. Turned out I like performance of suspended plinths in general.
What you are actually missing in SL1200 vs. RP3 is that unsuspended motor sound Trrrrrr heard via whole plinth.
Yep believe it or not, even stock SL1200 is substantial step above RP3 or P3 no matter how much they worth vs. one another. P3 or RP3 is primitive, noisy while SL1200 is superior built and engineered. Go through various offered KAB upgrades and SL1200 will be on the same league as VPI Junior, Spacedeck or similar.
Uncle, not only skin, but bones too. When it gets to the bones, it's very hard to get rid of skin :-)
No Gary, You're at the wrong spot! You should be looking at yard sales. Will be displayed at $10, but you can offer $5 or lower.