How Long Is Too Long?

I know this forum has tons of experience with all things audio. 

My question to the members is when you send a piece of gear to the manufacturer for repair; what is a reasonable turnaround time? 

I will leave the "company" out for now because I don't want to potentially hurt their business if it's not warranted.

I sent my phono pre and step up device in for repairs four months ago.  It's a small one man operation in California.  Around the time I sent them in, one of his products got a small positive review in Stereophile magazine and he said that since then he's been swamped with orders.  Understandable I guess and good for him.  Not so good for me though.

As I said, I haven't seen my equipment in four months.  Is this considered reasonable?  I called him about a month ago and talked to him directly and he assured me that he would get to my equipment soon.  So far, nothing.  I guess I should have asked what his definition of "soon" is.

I'm happy that he's selling units and business has picked up for him but with his new found success it appears like us early supporters are being left out in the cold. 

I know my hands are tied at this point and I do have a back up phono pre of lower cost and quality so I haven't been without the ability to play records.  

I appreciate any thoughts or advice.  

Thanks, 

Nick

nicktheknife

Four months is definitely too long.... but you have done it so you are going to have to live with it and your backup phono preamp will have to do. I would give him another call but be nice or you will never get it back and in the mean time look for another reliable tech to use next time. I think we all have had similar experiences with different things.

Bad examples could be from small and big brands.

Hope that this is solved soon. 

Why don't you ask for a replacement?

At least you are being told he will fix it !

There are countless users on here who have called PS Audio about repairs out of warranty, and 50% of the time the company declines to service their own product.  I had a Power Plant which I had to throw away.  I am not the only one.

@ petg60,

I didn't ask but his excuse for not repairing my units is that he's too busy building new ones for other customers.  I doubt he has any spares lying around. 

I'll give him another call.