How long do you or should you keep your gear.

Another interesting article and may spark, debate, reflection, envy?

I think I have jumped off the proverbial rodent exercise wheel for now.....wait I just read about that DAC..

For your enjoyment and Happy Holidays.

128x128jerryg123

Back in the mid 80s, after having several other nice speakers and auditioning many others, I got a pair of Quad ESL63s. they served me well for over twenty years and I sold only because of smaller living spaces. Also in mid 80s, I got an Audible Illusions Modulus II pre. and is still going strong as is my Thorns TT of the same vintage.

Other pieces of equipment I've had for some time, still enjoy and plan to keep and use in one set up or another: A pair of psb Stratus Gold I speakers; a ADS Sub10, sub woofer; an old reliable, still great sounding ADCOM GFA 5500 power amp and a Denon 5 disc CDP - still using for a transport/changer.

A few things I had and wished I had back: Nakamichi ZX9 tape deck; PSE Studio II power amp and my decked out HD Screaming Eagle Road King.....

Have been married to the same great gal for 46 years and still counting - sometimes when something is really good it's worth hanging on to😊 Happy New Years......Jim

There hasn't been much of anything that I have ever kept past 10 years or so. The one exception that I can offer is a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram unit. I only say that because I can switch it in or out of my system. Also, when I own any electronics of that age, changing out electrolytic capacitors is a given! Likely the RCA jacks a close second. Yes folks, caps do age and will eventually cause some sort of trouble. Having said that, I believe there are numerous products made back then that simply slipped through the cracks or out of favor as new ideas came to be. Quad and HT were murderers to a host of already good gear at the time. Then there were victims of one hit wonders>> Sony's El Cassette or digital tape decks never had a chance to make much of an impression. 

This hobby allows you to keep what works for you (and still operates properly) or change in new items as fits your mood.

While I have several new items in my system, I still love my Denon DP-2000 drive and my Stax UA-7 tonearm. These pieces are mid-70s classics so that makes them about 46 years old.

Enjoy what works for you.

Happy listening!

@builder3 As far as I'm concerned, the SX 50 series was the high point of vintage pioneer receivers. The 750 is stupendous. I remember I so wanted a SX650 but my teenage budget could only stretch for an SX450, which to this day I remember fondly. I no longer have it as I loaned it to a relative who after a few years moved to a micro-system, and promptly discarded the 450 without asking if perhaps I would like it back. 

I follow one rule very strictly: I will never commit to buying a single

new piece od equipment without having the requisite cash on hand.