How important is the pre-amp?

Hello all,

Genuine request here for other's experiences.

I get how power amps can make really significant changes to the sound of a system. And of course speakers have an even bigger effect. And then there is the complicated relationship between the speaker and power amp. But I wonder about pre-amps.

In theory a well designed preamp should just act as a source switch and volume control. But does it add (or ruin) magic? Can a pre-amp color the sound? Alter pace and timing? Could you take a great sounding system and spoil it with the wrong preamp? Stereophile once gushed (while reviewing a preamp that cost as much as a car) that the preamp was the heart of the system, setting the tone of everything. Really? Some people don't even bother with a preamp, feeding their DACs straight into the power amp. Others favor passive devices, things without power. If one can get a perfectly good $2K preamp, why bother with 20K?

What your experiences been?
128x128rols
Remember that NOISE removal is the problem we face. Noise being any thing not in the original source. Since it deals with low level information, the preamp is the most likely source of noise of all sorts. Listening to a truly low noise preamp can be very "revealing" (sorry) and I believe the preamp is the most audible and critical of the power components.
I have relatively recently gone down the audio rabbit hole and have had this question myself.  Thank you all for your perspectives!

Dare I ask if it is possible to get decent sound from a home theater preamp?  

I am very happy with the upgraded Emotiva XMC-1 I currently have, but during the lockdown I spent a lot more time listening to music and watching TV than ever......And buying used equipment, then selling it to try something else.  I've had a lot of fun and discovered even with a modest budget, different components can make an obvious difference.  I may be near enough the point of diminishing returns to stay put for a while, but love input for upgrade direction.

I haven't gotten into tubes yet, but I have a Cary Audio solid state that sounds great to me with Zu Druid MK IV's.

@azwineguy

I certainly have never heard it. Well, I guess a $15K surround processor versus a $1.5K preamp. But no, never.

Also, I am currently enjoying a glass of Chateau Haut Bages Liberal Pauillac, 2018 while listening to my all tube system. We have our home theater upstairs… top of the line… but no match for my system down here. Life is good. I lived in Tucson for 25 years.
Dare I ask if it is possible to get decent sound from a home theater preamp?

Not even. The problem is HT means surround means processors means noise.

Think of it this way. Some of the very best preamps out there are designed to power off the display when listening to music, because of the detrimental effect of even that tiny little bit of extra stuff running. Seriously. Stop and think about that. People can actually hear the sound degradation caused by something as seemingly minor as a function display.

Now imagine a whole big surround processor chip, about the size and power of the one in your computer. The noise and distortion that thing is generating, makes my skin crawl just to think of it. But then that is maybe partly because I know from experience, from having actually tried and compared these things. It is abysmal what they can get away with having a big screen to distract from the reality of the sonic dreck coming out of one of these things.