How can I tell if I am overdriving the amp or the speakers?

I have a Hegel H390 driving KEF Reference 5 speakers and when I play something loud, the upper midrange ( saxophone, electric guitar, piano ) start sounding sharp and annoying. The amp is 250 x 2 into 8 ohms, stable down to 2 ohms and the speakers are 90 dbs, 8 ohm, ( min 3.2 ) 50-400 watts. I’m pretty sure it’s not room acoustics, but.

Thanks.

JD

128x128curiousjim

@curiousjim  I think that is a serious possibility.

Some nights, nothing I listen to sounds what I would describe as great, and I attribute it to my mood fluctuations or maybe how tired I am.

Also, noting that you typed that the time of day affects what you hear, maybe it is the power coming into your house?  Although I would actually think the power should be "cleaner" in the evening.  Are you running any dedicated lines for your system?

@immatthewj,

I have pretty good power here, when it works. We’ve had seven transformers blow in the last fifteen months! I am a Audience AR6 power conditioner. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

JD

A perspective from a non-technical music lover:

I have a two watt tube amp matched with 92 efficient speakers. My room is about 210 sq ft. The sound was flat, and compressed (in terms of sound stage).  In addition, the bass was thin, and frequency response was distorted in the midrange.  I assumed I needed more watts or more efficient speakers.  Hence, I tried speakers that were 98 efficient.  Nevertheless, the subsequent results did not improve. The new speakers played louder but with the same issues.

Through further exploration of my room, I found the ideal speaker placement for my room and then added some diffusion and absorption treatments.  

In short, my 2 watt amp and 92 efficient speakers now perform as originally desired relative to my preferences - warm with natural timbre, sufficient detail,  and excellent sound staging and dynamics.

Know Thy Room and Thy Self

@franklinb66,

“Know Thy Room and Thy Self“

I like that and I have been working on it!

Thanks.

JD

There are quite a few factors in each system, starting with maybe power to the home, room resonance problems, equipment not meant to play well with certain other equipment, and yes even yourself. 

In my system/room setup, I can hear the system distort just before the room is saturated. This happens at way above my normal listening levels. Sometimes my ears say 'no way' before the music does.

Funny thing though, there are even times when distortion is present and I don't mind, but that is an exception for sure. 

To make a guess in your system, I'm thinking speakers and room placement. Maybe even some first reflection treatment. But yah, speakers.