Hostility from manufacturers

I know its a cottage industry, and margins are thin, but I still think its shortsighted of them, and harms the industry in the long run. I'm talking about several interactions I've had with manufacturers after having purchased their products on the secondhand market. They should think about what would happen to their prices and their sales if their products were not resellable. Maybe they would like us to send our components to the scrap heap every few years or so just before we purchase their latest upgrade.

Fire away..
psag

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

I have not had a lot of experience dealing with manufacturers of equipment I've bought used on Audiogon, but I have dealt with McIntosh and PS Audio and have nothing but good things to say about the experiences.

I purchased a McIntosh MAC6700 and though it was connected to an APC UPS, we had some sort of power "blip" while it was playing, corrupting the firmware.  I called the local dealer and they sent out a technician to re-load the firmware, and I was back up and running.  Of course this was a service I paid for (the unit was not under warranty).  Prior to that, I was considering purchasing an SACD player on Audiogon where the photo had the serial number blanked out with a slip of paper, contacted McIntosh to see if they had a list of stolen items, and they responded quickly.

As for PS Audio, I purchased one of their DirectStream DACs (new, from an authorized dealer), and they have provided multiple firmware updates on their website and have had questions from time to time and have had the pleasure of speaking with their technical folks, who were very helpful.