Honest Experience on Effects of Subwoofer Please

I have read countless of threads on people’s experiences with subwoofers but am still confused. Although I don’t have any experience with high quality music subwoofers, I have been using a decent sub in my audio system for the past 18 years or so. The sub went in and out of the systems and various rooms throughout the years as I was not convinced if the sub was contributing anything to the system. At times I felt I could hear an improvement and at other times I thought the sub wasn’t doing anything. If I bump up the volume and crossover frequency on the sub to hear a larger impact, it’s overly done.

I am aware that a proper set up and/or quality of subwoofer is crucial to ensure a successful implementation of the sub(s) in a system. Let’s just assume that everything is done properly.

To cut to the chase, do people hear a small or appreciable difference with subwoofers, or it’s a big night and day difference? I know everyone’s expectations are different but I’m reading different opinions and experiences on this forum. For the first time in 15 years, I am considering a sub upgrade and have been in communication with the sub maker and dealer. I just wanted to get a clearer picture on the situation.

So, coming back to the question, just two questions;

1. Do people hear a small or appreciable difference with subwoofers, or it’s a big night and day difference?

2 Do subwoofers just fill up the missing deep bass below say 40Hz or 35Hz where the main speakers won’t reproduce, or they will also augment the mid bass and upper bass by producing a punchier sound with better kick, heft and dynamics? The drums or kick drums are usually in the region of the midbass and upper bass, not low bass.

Posts like the one below taken from another thread make me confused.

ryder

@wolf_garcia, I hate to be a PITA (not really) but, if you think subs are easy to set up then you have not heard them done correctly. 

@phusis , When enough audiophiles hear subwoofers set up correctly, digital cross overs and all, the acceptance will grow like a snowball rolling down hill. All my audiophile buddies on hearing my system got subwoofers and digital crossovers with room correction. None of them are dyed in the wool analog guys but still.

It turns out that with the proper equipment subs are easy to set up. The computer does it for you. It measures your system one speaker at a time and adjusts delays and volumes appropriately. The only thing you have to do is select a crossover point and slope. The system I use now lets me change crossovers and slopes on the fly while I am listening which is very helpful. 

Wolf,

Thank you for the rare glimpse of common sense on an audio forum. People make so much of this stuff harder than it really is. IMO, it’s so they can feel really smart for solving the (usually non-existent) problem.

I cross my mains over at 100hz.  I have an SVS Ultra 13, 155 pound behemothof a sub 12” behind my listening seat.  I can feel kick drums in my chest and even throat.  Music has become visceral.  My stereo can pound you into submission.  It makes grown men giggle.  Its good

ryder, whatever jon_5912 is referring to as "upper bass" there have been a few subwoofers available for almost two decades that have the ability to adjust and remotely control parameters in the 100Hz or higher region. The open skinny string G2 on my Double Bass is tuned to 98Hz which is similar to the middle frequencies of a typical drum kit. 

It sounds like for the past 18 or so years you've been using a sub equipped with basic crossover, phase, and volume set-it and forget-it? To enjoy recordings up through the 60's as well as modern recordings were many producers are steeped in compression I find requires an interactive subwoofer system. Audio fun! 

+1 mijostyn & b_limo... I'm quite confident you would experience that appreciable difference using remote controlled processing subwoofer/s that offered listening position remote control of their parameters and customizable presets.

You mention proper setup. If that's your subwoofer shown just inside your left speaker in your system photos (which could very well be controlled by a processing sub). I'm equally confident that may not be the optimum subwoofer location. Your sub placed on your listening position and playing a low frequency test tone then a stroll around your room should reveal your rooms loudest modes (sub locations). Map them out. All the best.

I appreciate all the useful advice and opinions. I’ll just keep this short and avoid being long-winded.

I have been reading a lot. I understand all subs SVS, REL, Rythmik, Arendal etc. have their own pros and cons and fans, and it’s all good. It is highly likely I’ll end up with a REL S series. Although other subwoofers may offer better performance for the money, the real deal breaker with these subs for me, is aesthetics. I find the looks of most subs to be undesirable. The REL looks classier and more elegant with a clean shape, curved edges and gloss finish.

I also understand two subs work better than one but due to the current space and budget, I can only do one.

M-db, current placement of the sub may not be optimal but that’s the location where the sub produces the best result with the most even and non-boomy bass. Corner placement close to wall boundaries produced the worst result.

The only thing I don’t like about the REL is the price, particularly the current price increase of the S-series without any changes to the models.